Sturgis 12

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buford977

Reaction score
Any of you attending this year? Unfortunatly I live here and I have seen quite a few Vmaxes this year just out and about. More than i remember seeing before.

I have never been. Thought it was mainly for Harley riders but guess all kinds come now? What to do there? Drink beer, watch the people? Where to stay? In a sleeping bag somewhere?

I've been there a couple times over the years. One of those times was with my Vmax. Not a bad thing to experience every great once-in-a-while, if you ask me. Not the sort of place to visit if you don't like MAJOR TRAFFIC and/or too many motorcycles to count.

My favorite ride was through Custer State Park and the Needles Hwy.

My favorite moment was during an evening spin through Spearfish Canyon when one guy, on his Triumph Rocket III was "taking on all comers" going up one very long hill with a passing lane. Third time I watched him pull into the passing lane and challenge faster paced HD's or other, I couldn't stand it any longer - I pulled ahead of my group and anticipated him doing the same to me. He did. I did. He learned a new respect for an old Vmax. The wife, watching all this from just behind, said it looked as if he didn't quite know what had happened.

We've stayed at the Creekside Campground, right across the hwy from the dragstrip, both times we went. They accept tents or RV's and anything in between. They also offer camping cabins, if you book early. And they sell misc stuff like ice, pop, toiletries etc in addition to cooking breakfast & lunch for anyone interested.

Unfortunately, we aren't makin' it there this year.

Just got back last saturday actually. We usually go out the week before to avoid some of the crowds in the towns and the best roads. I didnt see any vmax's this year myself. But saw two last year with CO plates in Hill City.

We like to stay at the Fish and Fry campground just south of Deadwood.

It is a fun event except for too many people and a huge number that are not used to riding on curvy roads in our forest. If I could give anyone advice it would be wait untill Sept 1 to come. Cooler temps and minis 2-500000 extra people. Way nicer riding and scenery.

Back