The Wilhelm Scream Compilation

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Traumahawk

Reaction score
I know that there are some movie buffs on here....this should bring back some memories.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdbYsoEasio&list=TLTuO1JJ5LF4-yJDoCekRwEQ6kBSgpBSOi

The Wilhelm scream is a film and television stock sound effect that has been used in more than 200 movies, beginning in 1951 for the film Distant Drums.[1] The scream is often used when someone is shot, falls from a great height, or is thrown from an explosion.
Most likely voiced by actor and singer Sheb Wooley, the sound is named after Private Wilhelm, a character in The Charge at Feather River, a 1953 western in which the character is shot with an arrow. This was its first use from the Warner Bros. stock sound library, although The Charge at Feather River is believed to have been the third movie to use the effect.[2]
The effect gained new popularity (its use often becoming an in-joke) after it was used in Star Wars, the Indiana Jones series, Disney cartoons and many other blockbuster films as well as many television programs and video games.[3]

I know that there are some movie buffs on here....this should bring back some memories.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdbYsoEasio&list=TLTuO1JJ5LF4-yJDoCekRwEQ6kBSgpBSOi

The Wilhelm scream is a film and television stock sound effect that has been used in more than 200 movies, beginning in 1951 for the film Distant Drums.[1] The scream is often used when someone is shot, falls from a great height, or is thrown from an explosion.
Most likely voiced by actor and singer Sheb Wooley, the sound is named after Private Wilhelm, a character in The Charge at Feather River, a 1953 western in which the character is shot with an arrow. This was its first use from the Warner Bros. stock sound library, although The Charge at Feather River is believed to have been the third movie to use the effect.[2]
The effect gained new popularity (its use often becoming an in-joke) after it was used in Star Wars, the Indiana Jones series, Disney cartoons and many other blockbuster films as well as many television programs and video games.[3]

Sheb Wooley, I know that singer! And it's not something I had to google!
One of the great 1950's/60's novelty songs! Who else knows w/o googling or link-clicking?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=X9H_cI_WCnE#t=0

I did go to the internet to read more about Mr. Wooley, and saw he was cast as the principal of the Hickory (IN) High School in 1986's film Hoosiers, where Dennis Hopper, playing the town drunk, helps Gene Hackman as coach of the local high school basketball team, get a chance to go to the state championship. If you never saw the film, it's based on a true story, and I like it more than the Notre Dame football story, Rudy.

The writers and cinematographers stock tv and movies w/'in-jokes,' Quentin Tarantino is especially-fond of doing this. And, the whole "The Simpsons" is one continuous 'in-joke,' right from 'the race to the couch,' at the opening credits.

images

Good information...thank you. What made me think of this again...is the Wilhelm scream is on the latest twix commercial and the guy gets flung from the right twix factory..to the left. As the man is flying thru the air...this is the scream thats heard.

Good information...thank you. What made me think of this again...is the Wilhelm scream is on the latest twix commercial and the guy gets flung from the right twix factory..to the left. As the man is flying thru the air...this is the scream thats heard.

I like that it was in THEM!, the gigantic ant movie that was so-engrossing to a kid growing-up in the 1950's, when we had the CONELRAD twice-a-day radio emergency alert tests, designated spots shown w/tiny triangles on the radio dial of 'where to tune in the event of a national emergency,' and weekly air raid drills where we all had to exit the classrooms to squat in the halls, away from the windows, w/our hands over our necks/heads, and directions of "Don't look-at the flash" when the thermonuclear device lit the sky.

THEM! was like Godzilla, what the use of nuclear weapons can do to critters who then turn-against he who created them, mankind. A horror movie w/a message.

Back