Throttle cable

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

child_of_fire

Reaction score
Are there any write ups for installing a throttle cable on a second gen?

Compared to other bikes it's not "snappy" at all and oiling it has not improved the feel.

Have you tried the adjustment near the throttle/controls? If it is adjusted to tight It can make the throttle feel "sticky or sluggish".

Correct, but, if you go too far, it puts the throttle in a bind. It causes one cable to be way tighter than the other.

"snappy" means what?
You open up the throttle, release it and it snaps back?

Check the cables are located in the carbs correctly.

Remove RH scoop and electrics base to get at the cable joiner. Remove the top and disconnect the push (or return) cable.
Test again, if the same, then you know the pull cable is at fault, else it's the other one.

You've checked the throttle grip is not binding or rubbing?

Cables, inner and outer both wear, I'm not sure how much there are but may be worth replacing them all.

Yes I'm looking for a write up on that job. Not sure how to reach the motor side or how that connects.

1. Remove LH scoop 4mm hex key to remove 2 bolts
2. Medium cross head crew driver to undo 3 screws holding the plastic panel with the electrics (flasher relay and vboost)
3. Move it out of the way, let it hang down from the rubber clips of the engine shield
4. Cable joiner is now accessible, flip it around so the transparent section is visible and remove 2 small cross head screws

Each cable consists of 2 cables ending in small ferrules, these slot into a rectangular plastic piece that joins them together. The plastic pieces should be orientated so the slit is away from you so that the cables cannot pop out.

Undo 1 cable and try throttle - I'm not sure which is which but the joining pieces are staggered so someone here may know but you'll have 50/50 chance of disconnecting the push cable.

To see cables connections at carbs requires the carbs to be removed - unless someone corrects me - that's a much bigger job.

Ah, well spotted. Ignore what I've written. Gen 2 is probably drive by wire.

The Gen 2 has cables that go from the throttle tube to the throttle position sensor. That sends the signal to the ecm telling the ecm how much throttle you are requesting. The ecm controls the actual throttle blade opening ( how much and how fast) via an electric motor. IIRC, the PUSH (pull when closing throttle) cable is also mechanically connected to the throttle bodies in a way that provides an overide to close the throttle if something goes wrong.

The Gen 2 has cables that go from the throttle tube to the throttle position sensor. That sends the signal to the ecm telling the ecm how much throttle you are requesting. The ecm controls the actual throttle blade opening ( how much and how fast) via an electric motor. IIRC, the PUSH (pull when closing throttle) cable is also mechanically connected to the throttle bodies in a way that provides an overide to close the throttle if something goes wrong.
hey buddy have you ever taken off the whole air box to change the cables its quite the job isn't it or is there an easy way i look at at the manual but it doesn't really explain in detail, it would be nice to see a youtube video explaining how to remove the complete air bix and stacks, i see the guru has a video with the cheat to remove the stacks but its not the whole air box so it would be easier to get to the plugs as well...help...

i would like to know as well how to remove the hole air box out, because i am having issues with the throttle cables as well wish someone on here would show how to remove the box and stacks to get underneath and change the plugs as well cause its a pain on the arse to change them without taking the air box and stacks out.....

Back