throttle sticking!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firefighter

Reaction score
Ok the other night on my way home my throttle stuck open at about 3/4 throttle. I actyally had to hit the kill switch going into a turn!. I blew it off thinkingh that maybe my glove was sticking to the grip. Well just today on my way to work it stuck open at about 5k, I hit the kill switch and got stopped. When I restarted the bike it was still wanting to rev up by itself. Without the bike running I can work the throttle and it seems to move freely and retract. The carb linkage is not making contact with anything. Where do I start on this one? The only thing I have done to the bike is put my super trapps on. Nothing else has been messed with.

Yikes!!:eek:

That Sucks-------
Check to see if the linkage moves at the carbs. One or more of them may be stuck. Some debris may have gotten into the area where the cable meets the carbs----- GOOD light will help.

Good luck,
Lew

Last edited:
HOLY SHIT! I just found the problem. I took the lid off of my air box and looked inside my carbs. The foam gasket for my K and N air filter somehow got sucked inside one of my carbs. The bad news is I only retrieved half of the gasket. The foam has clear plastic on one side, and half of the foam gasket is gone! Guess that would explain why my gas light came on at 71 miles! Could I have done damage from the foam going into the cumbustion chamber? I think that is where it went. Should I pull the carbs now?

I would take it up the road and see how it runs...before i would pull that carb package...

well I was going to pull the slide covers off but I need the tamper proof drivers and they are at my house. Do you think this has already went throug the system and through the exhaust? When I started it last night Inoticed a black puff that came from the right side eshaust. This was probably the foam being burned in the combustion chamber, correct?
Any takers on this issue?

I would remove the airbox. Carefully hold the diaphragm slides open and see if any foam got stuck in your throttle plates. With each of the diaphragms held open, open you're throttle and look down there with a good light. Stickin open is not good brother...do yourself a favor and look down there

yea it would not hurt to pull a plug and look down in the butterflys with a light....bet you don't find anything....that foam burned up instantly i would assume.....lots of suction...i would go back to the stock filter; nothing wrong with them...

could the foam and clear plastic hurt anything if it went through the valve and into the combustion chamber? Starting to get a little worried. Also how the hell am I going to get a tight seal between my filter and the lid now?

checked with thr butterflies open and nothing found. And yes the foam gasket WAS stuck in the slide, holdong it open. Would that explain the fuel light comong on at 71 miles. Getting ready to pull the plugs, bet I will not find anything. I do not have the stock air filter, I have to find a way to seal this one.

It appears that the k@n that came on my bike is not the correct filter. I can't get the number on mine to come up on their site. But the specs are not close to the one listed on their site. YA-1285 is the correct part number and the dimensions are 4.5 inches high, 7.6 long and 3.25 wide. The one I have is 1.75 inches high, 8 inches long including a tab, and 3.25 wide with a threaded hole at one end. What the hell!

This is what was in my bike, I never questioned it. Just assumed the asshat that had the bike before me knew what the hell he was doing. How could you get the wrong filter.

That filter looks like it is way too short. The stock airbox setup draws the air into channels in the airbox lid, one from each side that form the "Y" that dumps air into the center of filter which then out filters the air to the main space that feeds the 4 openings to the carbs,
Unless that filter attached to the top lid I'm not sure how it was filtering anything, it also looks to be about 1/2 the height of the stocker. :confused2:

Buy the K&N and drop it in. 1285 is correct for the stock airbox.

I had something similar happen to my son's S2000 Honda, the anti-hydrolock bypass air filter came loose from the intake plumbing and stuck the butterfly open. Scary when you have a car w/a 9000 rpm redline and the throttle sticks.

K&N is the best. Can't believe someone would put an obviously incorrect filter in their Max. I would check the bike for other potential problems caused by the PO. Any PO mods would be suspect.

Check eBay for a YA-1285. They list for around $65-70 but can be had for less. Make sure it is new still sealed in the plastic unless used is OK.

Well the ride home last night was uneventfull. The bike ran normal minus the air cleaner. Ordered one last night (1285)and can't wait to get it in. The weather here is too nice for her to be in the garage! I guess I should not warry about the foam seal that I never found. Has anyone ever had anything like this happen before? My thinking is the foam is too soft to do any mechanicall damage to the bike. No valve noise, so the foam must have passed the valve ok and went straight to the combustion chamber. Only time will tell I guess. Should I change the oil and filter? Is their any chance of that making its way that far? No never mind it would have had to pass the rings.

yea i would change the oil and filter for sure...just to be on the safe side....

Back