Trouble with cyl #3

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Specs95t

Reaction score
I have a 50 mile commute to work and ended up taking a new way back that had some hills. With the extra load, I found that the amount of shaking from the bike was not bearable in 5th or 4th gear if the engine was spinning around 4000 rpm and I applied throttle to go faster.

When I got home, I was under the distinct impression that I was running 3 cylinders.

Pulling the plugs, this is what I saw:

e80c0be20162313c89a41b889e83f616.jpg
d0acc175c17447351078b30e9c397291.jpg

I decided to look at AF screws, since the #3 cyl looked wet. Last fall (when I bought the bike) I took it to a Yamaha mechanic who gave it a overall check and said that he had "tuned" the mixture screws...

Well, #1 and # 3 were out 4+ turns and #2 and # 4 were less than 2 turns. I set them all at 2.5 turns and when for a ride. Slightly better, oil light came on a few times, but still getting shaking in 4th and 5th gears around 4000 to 5500 rpm.

Took the #3 cyl plug out after the ride and it was still wet. Swapped out an old (but good plug - same NGK plug) to see if maybe I had a bad COP. Took a quick ride, same thing with shaking in 4th and 5th gear in the 4000 rpm to 5500 rpm range. Checked old plug (#3 cyl) - not wet...

I dumped in some Seafoam and whacked at the carb covers with a rubber mallet for good measure...

This past weekend, I ended up doing a peashooter and then riding two up with my wife with no issues. Did the peashooter because on my way back last Thursday, the bike developed a full on stumble in the 4000 rpm range - pretty much any gear. The peashooter and new NAPA fuel filter helped and all was well...

Next step - cycled power and only heard the fuel pump click once ...

Will check I again in the morning.

Thoughts and suggestions on next steps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 50 mile commute to work and ended up taking a new way back that had some hills. With the extra load, I found that the amount of shaking from the bike was not bearable in 5th or 4th gear if the engine was spinning around 4000 rpm and I applied throttle to go faster.

When I got home, I was under the distinct impression that I was running 3 cylinders.

Pulling the plugs, this is what I saw:

e80c0be20162313c89a41b889e83f616.jpg
d0acc175c17447351078b30e9c397291.jpg

I decided to look at AF screws, since the #3 cyl looked wet. Last fall (when I bought the bike) I took it to a Yamaha mechanic who gave it a overall check and said that he had "tuned" the mixture screws...

Well, #1 and # 3 were out 4+ turns and #2 and # 4 were less than 2 turns. I set them all at 2.5 turns and when for a ride. Slightly better, oil light came on a few times, but still getting shaking in 4th and 5th gears around 4000 to 5500 rpm.

Took the #3 cyl plug out after the ride and it was still wet. Swapped out an old (but good plug - same NGK plug) to see if maybe I had a bad COP. Took a quick ride, same thing with shaking in 4th and 5th gear in the 4000 rpm to 5500 rpm range. Checked old plug (#3 cyl) - not wet...

I dumped in some Seafoam and whacked at the carb covers with a rubber mallet for good measure...

This past weekend, I ended up doing a peashooter and then riding two up with my wife with no issues. Did the peashooter because on my way back last Thursday, the bike developed a full on stumble in the 4000 rpm range - pretty much any gear. The peashooter and new NAPA fuel filter helped and all was well...

Next step - cycled power and only heard the fuel pump click once ...

Will check I again in the morning.

Thoughts and suggestions on next steps?

Fuel pump clicking once is good meaning bowls a full. Pull that cop and put a spark plug in it rest against the head and bump the starter and see if you are getting fire.

Update:

No click on fuel pump this morning.

Spark present on #3 COP

Well I've had a slightly similar situation. I think the previous owner had "tuned" the bike to the horribly gummed up pilot air jets and the clogged fuel filter. After I put in a new filter and shotgunned it, it developed a nasty stumble around 3-4000rpm. I had to mess with the mixture screws to get the low end running smooth again. I haven't looked at the plugs to see if one cylinder was worse than the rest, but it definitely runs way smoother now. I'm going to sync the carbs next and see where they're at.

Update on cyl # 3:

Fouled another plug (#3 again) after I swapped COPS between #3 and #4. Drained float in #3 to see clear fuel. Fuel pump clicked away until carb float was full.

Took it for a few more runs and I am definitely running on 3 cylinders.

I have done a peashooter a couple of times - no help. Will try a shotgun next.

If that doesn't work, I will dive deep into the carbs...

Sad day...

As long as you are getting fire then I would say it is your paj clogged in your jetblock.

I just got one of those cleaning tools because i finally got tired of loosing my guitar string, lol.

My wife plays a guitar - what string do you use to snake PAJ?

Works best to crimp it in a small gauge electric connector for easier handling and (in theory) to make it easier to keep track of. Id usually use one with a spade terminal (have tons of em) and cut the spade end off first. Works very well if you can remember where the hell you put it between carb cleanings, lol.

Try this.....and it worked for me. I had a clog that I couldnt get out with the normal shotgun technique, so I also took out PAJ#2, that way I could get the FULL BLAST of air into the jet block, and not trying to force the air thru the PAJ#2 jet.

Work for me VERY well.

Thanks guys. I have the tamper-proof bits arriving tomorrow. My wife's guitar is missing a bit of string (above the adjustment screws), I have 1/2 a can of b-12 cleaner left and my compressor is ready to go with a nice soft rubber tip...

Fingers crossed for my first shotgun...

Thanks guys. I have the tamper-proof bits arriving tomorrow. My wife's guitar is missing a bit of string (above the adjustment screws), I have 1/2 a can of b-12 cleaner left and my compressor is ready to go with a nice soft rubber tip...

Fingers crossed for my first shotgun...

Now this is a funny thing Specs those are (TUNING KEYS) on the guitar- How the hell can you go wrong now? It is going to TUNE itself now---:rofl_200:
Sorry, I could not pass that one up.

So I finished the shotgun last night - only to find that it was too late to do anything but start it up and let it idle up to temperature.

Even then, I had a string of texts from my wife going about the hell that the neighbors will put her through for my late night idling...

To be fair - the garage acts as a nice amplifier and even with stock exhaust, the bike sounded bad ass....

I had an early morning meeting - so no shake out ride yet - just sitting at work - wondering if all is well.....:bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head:

final update - an an end to this string (yep had to go there...)

ALL IS WELL!!!

Zveruga is once again a diabolical machine that delivers terror at the twist of the wrist.

All four pots of power are pouring forth their endless forces of acceleration, exhaust notes are screaming to the world and an ear-to-ear grin is now squarely set on my face - with no hope of recovery today.

50 beautiful miles in to work today - can't wait to get going home!

SHOTGUN = GOOD THINGS :th_peace:

Back