Two & a half miles from a volcanic eruption

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That was way cool Ive only seen 1 other shock wave like that and it was in Afghanistan when EOD detonated a few hundred thousand pounds of weapons cache materials. i love working with explosives

David Justiss
USAF First Sergeant

That was relatively small.
Could you image what it would have been like when Mt. St Helen blew, if you where at that distance?

That was relatively small.
Could you image what it would have been like when Mt. St Helen blew, if you where at that distance?

USGS geologist David Johnston was about 5 1/2 miles away from the north face of the mountain when the entire north face blew out with the force that has been calculated to be equal to a large hydrogen bomb. He had time to get a five word warning to the USGS office in Vancouver before the blast wave hit him.

I worked for the county here in FL where my boss was the explosives director for the county. Once a week he would take a trip into the Everglades where they kept the powder magazine, he had to make an inventory each week.

Whenever a blasting was to be done, he was responsible for issuing the permit and inspecting the pre-explosion installation, monitoring the detonation, and collecting the particle-blast recorders afterwards.

I saw some blasts, one on a bridge over the Intracoastal Waterway in SE FL which didn't throw a huge geyser into the air, but it destroyed the old bridge foundations so they could be removed. Hundreds of fish floated to the surface, and the public was using nets to scoop them off the surface as they drifted to the seawall. I was out on the water a couple hundred yards from where charges were set, and it conducted a good series of thumps through the water, setting the boat to rocking.

Yeah, the big ones like Mt. Pinatubo, Mt. St. Helens, and Krakatoa were ones that can only hint at what sits underneath Yellowstone. If that one ever unleashes, it could be a world-wide impact for years to-come. http://news.discovery.com/earth/if-...-erupts-ash-may-reach-new-york-city-14082.htm
caldera_eruptions2_1.jpg

I was in Pompeii years-ago, one of the most amazing things I've ever seen, what happened there. Those people didn't stand a chance. The artifacts they had found are just incredible, from the architecture, the community, to the victims. I was there on a late spring day and it made my skin get goosebumps repeatedly, looking over the area.

Back