two peas in a pod

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire-medic

Staff member
Reaction score
With Daytona Bike Week running now through next weekend, my buddy and I are going to be attending next week. We'll be at the TT race at the Speedway, last year on the way to our seats we encountered Willie G and Nancy Davidson as they went to their suite in the scoring tower VIP seating.

My buddy and I have been attending about 34 years-on, and the anticipation of attending is almost as-good as being there. We always have a good time, even if it's raining. My friend has had a hip replacement, and I'm retired (that would be, 'elderly') so we don't ride to the event, we take the bikes in his full-sized GMC pick-up.

To make a safer trip we decided to buy a pair of Harbor Freight roll-in front wheel chocks
https://www.harborfreight.com/1800-lb-capacity-motorcycle-standwheel-chock-61670.html
but the front cross-bar to stabilize them laterally and which has eyelets on the ends, was going to be too-wide when the two wheel chocks were placed side-by-side. Sure, we could stagger them a bit, one-behind the other so the bars could overlap. But I wanted to try something else.

We put a pair of bikes in the bed of the truck, and placed them where they would fit.

I got a piece of steel 2" X 2" X 1/8" L-shaped angle iron to fit side-to-side at the front of the pick-up bed. We removed the wheel chock cross-bars, and mounted the wheel chocks to the L-angle iron, drilling holes and using short machine screws.It's about 58-1/2" long.

For the opposite end of the pair of wheel chocks, to hold them parallel to one-another, I made a simple 1/8" X 2" steel strap bracket, with two tabs (about 1-1/2" X 2") on opposite ends, welded in-place. I used my Harbor Freight flux wire-feed 120 volt 90 amp welder. The U-shaped bracket fits between the inside of the wheel chocks' closest points. I drilled holes about 2" from the ends of the wheel chocks, on the vertical plane of the steel brackets. Again I used short machine screws to bolt it together. If you look at the rear of the wheel chocks in the pick-up, you can see the bracket holding them spaced-apart. It's about 24" long.

In years-past, we've made the same trip using ratcheting tie-downs front and rear, to secure the bikes in-place. I believe this will provide us with an as-secure placement of the bikes, and allow us to load/unload much-more quickly. We will use the GMC welded loops in the four corners of the beds, they're just-above the floor, and the removable rings (but who-ever removes them?) located just-below the top of the sides of the pick-up bed, all the way-around.

It didn't take long to-do, and it will make loading/off-loading easier and quicker.

First pic: welding up the spacer steel strap which locates the wheel chocks parallel to one-another, at the end opposite the L-angle.

Second pic: showing the front of the wheel chock where the L-angle has machine screws bolting the pieces together. The vertical wheel bump-stops have been removed to show the bolt mounting points.

Third pic: the wheel bump-stops are replaced.

After it was all-together, we decided to make a bit of a change in the HFT hardware. We got some 1" split pins to replace the small-gauge hitch pins that HFT supplies for each side of the pins that mount the wheel brackets to their frames. We also bought heavier-gauge hitch pins to replace the HFT pins. Each of the adjustable wheel chock brackets originally-used two hitch pins for each round rod locating the movable wheel brackets. Now the removable pins for the adjustable wheel brackets are replaced with a stationary spring-steel split-pin on one side, and a stronger, larger-gauge hitch pin on the opposite side.
Bike rack .01.jpeg bike rack.02.jpeg bike rack.03.jpeg

Last edited:
That looks like a good setup to me! When I picked up my Super Tenere in the middle of Indiana I used a enclosed 5x8 U-haul that I put a 4x8 3/4" piece of treated plywood inside and screwed down a spare wheel chock I had close to the front. When I loaded the Super Tenere in it dropped right into the chock and ran 4 straps to secure it. This worked like a charm for the 500 mile trip back home, I hit some rough roads through Ohio and southern Michigan, and the bike never moved. Picture was taken after about 325 miles on the rough roads.

Attachments

• 2018 S-10 UHAUL TRAILER.JPG
    2018 S-10 UHAUL TRAILER.JPG
    107.5 KB · Views: 9
Using the 3/4" plywood was a good idea. Did you through-bolt the chock, or just use wood screws? The through-bolt would be stronger. You could use some t-nuts to make it easier to through-bolt.

t-nut-dimensions1.gif
t-nut-dimensions2.gif

Just wondering, how-many on here put their bike in-gear after loading it up, vs. leaving it in neutral?

I actually used a scrap piece of 3/4" plywood I had under the 4x8 sheet I bought after picking up the U-haul a few miles from the seller and used 4 - 2" lag screws to secure the chock. The 4x8 sheet of plywood was held in place by closing the doors which was a very tight fit. When I bought I thought I might have to get it cut but it worked out perfectly.

Back