Valves

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGMO

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Admitingly not knowing much on engines..... My bike is 1994 with 8500 miles and I am wondering if a valve adjustment is due (not sure if original owner had done it yet).
How can you tell if you need a valve adjustment?
Also in asking questions about my carb problem I was told that if the valves need adjusment then it will run poorly like bad carb cuircuts. is this true? What does out of adjustment valves do/ cause?
What kind of price should I recieve from the local steeler to do an adjustment.
What im really wondering is if my carb problem is really a valve problem or can a valve adjustment be done without my carbs being tuned in? Or is it possible to even get carbs tuned in if valves are oughta spec?
Any ideas?

A valve adjustment is done without running the motor.Just measuring the clearances with feeler gauges.A special tool is needed to pull the shims out.Then you also need additional shims to get them all into specs.Do not roll the cam over into an empty bucket.I seriously doubt with only that many miles that you have a valve problem.They might be slightly out but shouldn't be way out of wack.

Yep. If I bought the bike used I would check them though. They're supposed to be adjusted again after breaking in the engine.

Back