Vermont loophole closes

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire-medic

Staff member
Reaction score
You used to be able to get a vehicle registered in VT easily, if you lacked paperwork to get it registered in your state. That has now ended.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/new...p&cvid=5438be4e043143859a74b1579e17fa43&ei=88

It's truly the end of an era for project bike fans.​

As you probably already know, there are a lot of types of motorcycle enthusiasts in the world. If you’re one of the ones who gets enjoyment from browsing used bikes for sale, dreaming about that perfect (for you, at least) barn find, and/or rescuing total basket cases to save them from the scrapyard, I’m afraid we have bad news for you.

See, if any of the above descriptors apply to you and the type of bikes you like to look for, then you’re probably already acquainted with a thing that was previously and widely referred to as “the Vermont loophole.” For those unfamiliar, Vermont was previously a popular state in which folks with barn finds and/or other difficult vintage vehicle title situations could legally register their new purchases until the past couple of weeks.

After successful registration of said vehicle in Vermont, the new owners could then use that sparkling, fresh vehicle registration to obtain a title in their state of residence, if they wanted. Alternatively, they could also simply continue to own and operate their vehicles where they lived, but legally registered in the state of Vermont.
(end)​

Wondering how many people here have used the Vermont path previously?

My Honda Hawk has a very sketchy past. When I lived in New York, I was able to cheat and get the bike registered an insured. When I moved to New Mexico, my cheat wasnt able to work. VIN inspection and title didnt necessarily matched. So....everyone said Vermont. So, being in New Mexico, I called. Montpelier DMV. I was told that I needed to physically bring the bike to a local DMV for a VIN inspection. This was about 14 months ago. So the writing was on the wall back then. Maybe before that, they were more loosey goosey. But just as little as 14 months ago, they stopped that.

For my bikes sketchy past, I ended up getting a frame with a clear title. Swapping everything over was a pain but easier than the uncomfortable questions about a bike that was given to me by a family member that obtained the bike on a barter.

Back