very high temperature regulator

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uri gal

Reaction score
Hello all

I needed to replace my old (original )Regulator

We did not find any new original vmax part – but the garage suggest that I can have a Regulator of Suzuki instead

The man from the garage say that this regulator I also about 30 AMP and it has a very good quality –

Just to note - that this garage is specialized on regulators & alternators –

We installed it and the voltage was very good

Now I got to my home (15min of riding) and I touch the regulator and it was very very hot!!! I could not touch it more than 2 sec, is that o.k?? the regulators supposed to get to very high temperature??

I never check it before in my old Regulator….

It is ok??

The regulators in the VMax/Ventures are a shunt style, meaning when they receive an output from the generator that is in excess of the R/R designed charecteristics, the excess is shunted to ground. This current flow then generates heat, whicjh is the reason for the cooling fins on the R/R unit.

Couple of possibilities are, 1st, this could be normal for this R/R due to a lower rating than what the VMax stator can put out. 2nd, unit may be operating fine, but the bike had low power draw and the current shunted was within bikes design intent. If motor was near 4000 rpm, then stator would be at maximum output, so excess power has to go somewhere other than battery to keep from boiling it.

Gary

Back