Cannot rev past 6500 RPM under load

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello from Bulgaria. First of all, I apologize for my bad English - I use google translate :) I read the thread and decided to give some direction because I understand that your problem has a point of contact with my problem :) This summer I started building brand new instruments for my V-Max ( odometer, tachometer, etc.). My idea was to dismantle the original ones, but without doing interventions on the motor. I.e. at any moment to be able to return the motorcycle to factory condition. So in this line of thoughts, actions and the fact that my bike is the worst possible modification: 3UF - I ran into the same problem as you. The only difference is that everything works fine for me, but when I changed the odometer I got a limit of 6500rpm. I researched a bit...it turned out that the speedlimiter in the odometer is the problem. I did the "reverse engeneering" and now have a device replacing the blunt limiter. As far as I understand, you have a CDI from just such a motorcycle (3UF) - for Japan or France. They are limited and the CDI - it receives a signal from the odometer - at a speed between 10 and 180km/h the restriction is not active, but if you go out of this interval the CDI deactivates 2 of the cylinders at over 6500rpm. I am currently trying to find the pinout of my CDI. I live far away from where I keep the motorcycle and therefore I "work" on the matter only on the Internet :) So far I can find almost nothing about this cdi (3uF). The only thing I found out is that those pins that are missing in your installation (but there are them on the CDI) are precisely for the limiter. Hope I was helpful. Greetings.

Hello from Bulgaria. First of all, I apologize for my bad English - I use google translate :) I read the thread and decided to give some direction because I understand that your problem has a point of contact with my problem :) This summer I started building brand new instruments for my V-Max ( odometer, tachometer, etc.). My idea was to dismantle the original ones, but without doing interventions on the motor. I.e. at any moment to be able to return the motorcycle to factory condition. So in this line of thoughts, actions and the fact that my bike is the worst possible modification: 3UF - I ran into the same problem as you. The only difference is that everything works fine for me, but when I changed the odometer I got a limit of 6500rpm. I researched a bit...it turned out that the speedlimiter in the odometer is the problem. I did the "reverse engeneering" and now have a device replacing the blunt limiter. As far as I understand, you have a CDI from just such a motorcycle (3UF) - for Japan or France. They are limited and the CDI - it receives a signal from the odometer - at a speed between 10 and 180km/h the restriction is not active, but if you go out of this interval the CDI deactivates 2 of the cylinders at over 6500rpm. I am currently trying to find the pinout of my CDI. I live far away from where I keep the motorcycle and therefore I "work" on the matter only on the Internet :) So far I can find almost nothing about this cdi (3uF). The only thing I found out is that those pins that are missing in your installation (but there are them on the CDI) are precisely for the limiter. Hope I was helpful. Greetings.
Hi baceti.
It's not my case, since the engine had this behaviour in almost every gear, well bellow 180 km/h.
Hell, I could only reach 160, 170 km/hIf I really insisted.

In the end the engine seized after being worked on by an recommended mechanic...

That's exactly what I mean. You have a limit on each gear because (I assume) your speedometer is not one of the limited ones, and your CDI is for a limited model. It "thinks" that you are always above 180 km/h, because the board inside the speedometer is missing, and that's why it cuts at 6500 rpm. This is what the limiter in the speedometer looks like:
ce8ad69a16d308397a5be64fc117691c.jpg

I guess you are missing this.
In the end the engine seized after being worked on by an recommended mechanic...
Sorry about that :(

Last edited:
Such a sorry sad reality to face . Yamaha builds the best motorcycle on the planet and then we have to read that certain governments that should allow their people to enjoy everything life has to offer , goes and puts limits on the finest piece of machinery ever sold in the world . Probably under some disguise of freedom !

Back