Vmax fuel issue...maybe

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kwarnke

Reaction score
Bought a bad ass 95, gorgeous. Best one I have ever seen actually. Cobra exhaust, I know I know, but idles perfect, revs perfect, take it out and I get a few miles and it feels like when your bike needs to be switched over to reserve when it gets too low. Its like that. Changed the fuel filter, and plugs. it doesnt feel like the carbs are out of adjustment, it feels like its being starved of fuel. Help

Attachments

• bike.jpg
    bike.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 20
Could be anything.

Cobra's tend to make the bike run rich. How did the old plugs look coming out? Do you still have them? If so take a picture and upload it.

no I didnt, but they looked fine. I thought that maybe the guy didnt adjust the carbs for the new pipes but he did...what are the odds of a clogged fuel line? rare. but it idles and revs bad ass...

You can't really "adjust" the carbs for the pipes. You have to change the jets. Now, if he did that and used aftermarket kits when he rebuilt the carbs then that could be the problem. There's a lot of cheap kits out there where the needle valves for the inlet are too big and restrict the flow of gas.

It's also possible that you just have very dirty carbs that need to be cleaned out and rebuilt.

Nah, it's the Cobras!

Don't even-bother loooking at anything until you replace the Cobras! Replacing the Cobras and returning the carbs to stock jetting will make that bike act like it's had another spark plug high-tension wire added. The VBoost will work! Sure, your choice, OEM, UFO, VooDoo, Mark's, Delkevic, Kerker, Marving, Supertrapp, anything but Cobras!

Yes, it's "that-big a deal."

Last edited:
Nah, it's the Cobras!

Don't even-bother loooking at anything until you replace the Cobras! Replacing the Cobras and returning the carbs to stock jetting will make that bike act like it's had another spark plug high-tension wire added. The VBoost will work! Sure, your choice, OEM, UFO, VooDoo, Mark's, Delkevic, Kerker, Marving, Supertrapp, anything but Cobras!

really? I have heard that from more than one person. I have Hole Shots on my red one and theyre awesome.

try swapping them over to see if the problem is the cobras

Does the bike rev up fine when sitting?
Yet starves under hard acceleration.when riding?
If so
Drain the bowls.
You could have moisture.in the bowls.that gets sucked up.when accelerating.

Simple fix. No money involved . And worth trying.

Check the horseshoe fuel line from the tank to the pump, might have a pinhole or something, and same as what the captain said.

Nah, it's the Cobras!

Agreed cobras look cool but that's hit no midrange at all.........

when the "starvation" occurs, stop and open the gas tank (sounds like take is not venting), and continue, from your description this occurs after a few miles, surely if it were the exhausts, then it would occur straight away?

thanks for all the replies guys, but I just cant see how it can be the cobras. It revs up perfect in neutral. Never a miss, its when I am riding and its usually when im at cruising speed, it literally feels like when you have to shift to reserve when the main gas runs out, no throttle at all. But when I open the throttle all the way, it seems fine... I have owned 5 and this one is stumping me. I dont know the original owner so i cant ask if he did anything to the carbs when he put the cobras on and I dont have a set of OEM pipes laying around. I really dont want to take it apart and work on the carbs unless I know for sure.

OK, 'back to basics:'
You had 5 VMaxes. What exhausts?

Compare the 5 VMaxes and how they ran to this Cobra-exhaust equipped bike. What's different?

Replace the Cobras.

OK, 'back to basics:'
You had 5 VMaxes. What exhausts?

Compare the 5 VMaxes and how they ran to this Cobra-exhaust equipped bike. What's different?

Replace the Cobras.
Exactly my bike died with the cobras came back to life with the holeshot system like night and day literally

youre right.... the only difference was the cobras. I just have a hard time grasping how they can make it feel like their is either a leak in my fuel line, or its clogged. Like I can literally be going 40 and twist the throttle and nothing...but if I open it all the way, itll take off. He also installed the VBoost all the time, switch. I leave it off most of the time

Back