Vmax Owners with HID's (preferrably from DDM Tuning)

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patrick78

Reaction score
I got my HID kit from DDM Tuning installed today but I have some issues. First I just wanted to confirm that they sent me the right kit in the first place. The bulb fits in the housing fine, no issues there. But the section of the wiring harness that has the relay attached to it has a long and short section of wiring that goes to the ballasts. According to the instructions I downloaded from the site you mount this relay close to the first ballast for the short wire section and then the long section is supposed to go over to the other headlight (for a car) and plug into the ballast for that side. Did anyone else's kit come like this or did they send me a car kit and not a bike kit?

The other issue is the high beam doesn't work. I flip the switch to highs and it shuts off. Not sure what the issue is here. I went back and checked all the wire connections again and I'm sure that everything is plugged up correctly. They do a pretty good job of making it so you can't cross plug wires up so I'm pretty sure thats right. Did anyone have any issue with their high beams? Do they work?

Lastly did you hide the ballast under the scoop on the clutch lever side of the bike? Thats were I put it but they put such a short ground wire on it I'm not sure I picked a good enough bolt. Let me know what you all used for a ground location.

I have the same kit, they sent you the right one. I had to clearance the back of the headlight housing to make mine fit otherwise it pinched the wires bad, I cut off and sealed the long harness (don't do this, it voids the warranty!) and I have everything stuffed above the engine guard heat shield but with both harnesses I'm not sure it will all fit up there. My high beams work fine, the wires for high beams are the super tiny red & black ones that plug in together in the small two wire harness off the headlight, so check to see if you have any pinched wires cause that could be the problem. The issue I have is I believe the relay in my kit is junk, you have to flip the key on & off a bunch of times in order to get it to come on and stay on cause if you don't it will come on for a split second then go back off, sometimes when you start the bike it comes back on again but I don't trust it so I just do the on & off trick till it stays on continuously then I start the bike. I called about a replacement relay but because I "altered" the harness the relay isn't covered anymore (bastards) so I just deal with it for now. I'll probably pull the whole thing back out again here soon and just buy a replacement relay and wire it in myself but I shouldn't have to dick with it. Guess you get what you pay for, good luck with yours bro.

Yeah I checked to make sure all those were connected but I'll check again. Maybe I have that one backwards or something. Mine does the same on off BS when you turn the key too. Sometimes I have to turn the let a couple times to get it to stay on. Oi was thinking that could be the ground I chose. What are you using for the ground?
I almost cut the extra wires off too but didn't just I case they did give me the wrong one and wanted to exchange.

Appearantly I didn't buy the "mini" version so I had to cut out the back of my bezel to make it fit also...no biggie.........

But, I too, had the same two problems you described Partick78....
1. car and bike system is appearantly the same. just wrap up the unused wire for the second "car" headlight.
2. when my highbeam stopped working, I went back in and found that one of the wire connector sockets had released from the connector and was only make a part-time conection and would flicker on & off with bumps/virbration. I just popped the socket back into the connect and problem was solved.

Hope your problem is this easy to solve. Good Luck.

Thanks. I will give that a try. When you cut out the back of the housing did you put something over the opening to keep it water proof?

Yeah I checked to make sure all those were connected but I'll check again. Maybe I have that one backwards or something. Mine does the same on off BS when you turn the key too. Sometimes I have to turn the let a couple times to get it to stay on. Oi was thinking that could be the ground I chose. What are you using for the ground?
I almost cut the extra wires off too but didn't just I case they did give me the wrong one and wanted to exchange.

I'm using a good solid chassis ground, I guess I could try going directly to the battery but I seriously doubt that would help. The way it pops on for a split second then back off but will eventually work right if you flip the key on & off a bunch of times has me believing they are using junk relay's. Sorry to hear your having the same problem bro :bang head:

Thanks. I will give that a try. When you cut out the back of the housing did you put something over the opening to keep it water proof?

I didn't bother, the way that plug is built I can't see a way for much water to get in there anyway plus it's protected by the forks, frame, speedo, ect. I rode though a couple pretty damn decent rains so far and no problems other than that goddamn relay :bang head:

Back