Why no fuel gauge

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James t

To boldly go where no man has gone before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been sitting around thinking why is it they didn't put a fuel gauge on the VMAX does anyone have the answer, now I'm not sure about all of the years but I know my 85 and the first gens don't have one, why Yamaha why.

VW Bugs didn't have one until 1962. Those who owned them before that got used to kicking over the front wall passenger compartment lever to put the gas tank onto reserve. On a Gen. 1, you just use your thumb to do the same thing. I zero the tripmeter when I fill-up and when I hit 90 miles, I know pretty-soon I'll hear the engine start to sputter.

OK here's a question, how many have forgotten to flip the switch to 'main tank' after going to reserve, and filling up and then ran out of gas?

More complexity and weight on a bike that was marketed to street/drag racing. They offered the fuel gauge on their touring bike.

I like the gauge cluster setup but I don't want to change my stock 85

Last edited:
We've made a few conversions for customers and have a fuel sending unit already fit for length. We can usually configure it to run with about any aftermarket gauge though we prefer the speedhut stuff we sell.

VW Bugs didn't have one until 1962. Those who owned them before that got used to kicking over the front wall passenger compartment lever to put the gas tank onto reserve. On a Gen. 1, you just use your thumb to do the same thing. I zero the tripmeter when I fill-up and when I hit 90 miles, I know pretty-soon I'll hear the engine start to sputter.

OK here's a question, how many have forgotten to flip the switch to 'main tank' after going to reserve, and filling up and then ran out of gas?
Been there done that. I follow your same process using the odometer.

We've made a few conversions for customers and have a fuel sending unit already fit for length. We can usually configure it to run with about any aftermarket gauge though we prefer the speedhut stuff we sell.
Guys Speedhut is the shiznits!!! Sean hooked me up with a custom speedo from them, it is amazing stuff

G

I've been sitting around thinking why is it they didn't put a fuel gauge on the VMAX does anyone have the answer, now I'm not sure about all of the years but I know my 85 and the first gens don't have one, why Yamaha why.
Inside info is the Yamaha exec's had a round table way back when.
At the round table, the aftermarket was well represented, but
one individual , very vocal, and quite peruasive was the
mod monkey.
The M.M. was so disruptive and insistant on room for "creative expression"that the engineers gave in and omitted such things
as a fuel gauge,5 gal. tank, L.E.D. lights, chain drive, F.I., wings, air bags and cell phone holders.
So, there it is guys, God bless the mod monkey!

Gent

Last edited:
Back