Probrems with my turnsignals

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Icecold

Reaction score
Hey you crazy katz i just installed some LED blinkers on my 85 and when i went to test them out they all light up at the same time and dont blink just stay lit and theres kind of a buzzing sound that goes along with it. i havent really looked into it figured id ask here first.

also anyone know of where i could get a good LED tail light for a gen1?
thanks for any words of wisdom
:punk:

I have both including a new taillight that can go in place of the rear reflector. You need a universal relay to get them to blink (they are trying to blink but they are doing it so fast that it sounds like it's buzzing). Then you need a diode kit so they won't blink like hazards.

I have both in stock. The other alternative would be to get some diodes to increase resistance to match the stock signals (the LED's are very low resistance). An even cheaper alternative would be to add back in one of the signals on each side but hide them under the tank cover ore rear seat. That will add the resistance needed.

Sean

Thanks Mr. Morley. i was checking your site earlier but couldnt find anything as far as tail lights do you have a link??

Link in my signature to the facebook site. Lots more pics there. I am not sure if I have a pic of the rear light in the reflector since I haven't made a lot of them. Check out that in the folder of my personal bike.

Hey you crazy Katz i just installed some LED blinkers on my 85 and when i went to test them out they all light up at the same time and dint blink just stay lit and theres kind of a buzzing sound that goes along with it. i haven't really looked into it figured id ask here first.

also anyone know of where i could get a good LED tail light for a Gen?
thanks for any words of wisdom
:punk:

I would first check your connections even with LED's I wouldn't expect all of the lamps to light.

What I would expect is that the flash rate on each side would be too fast.

The flasher unit needs to 'see' a resistance, normally provided by the bulbs to blink at the correct rate. My guess is that this 'design feature' is to alert you if one of the indicator bulbs has blown.
As LED's have minimal resistance as far as the flasher unit is concerned you have two bulbs out so it flashes like a maniac to let you know.

You have two options:
1a) Fit ballast resistors across each LED to mimic the bulb or wire a bulb of the original wattage across the LED.

2) Replace the OE indicator unit with a solid state device which is not load Dependant. Note that you will loose the self cancelling function if you do this.

We see them all lights at once very regularly and the fast buzzing is also becoming more and more common (since the LED's are getting even more and more efficient).

Sean

I did the ballast resistors when I did the LED mod to my Roadstar. There are products available commercially - and expensively - to do the job, but I'd try to get a couple resistors to put in parallel with the LEDs at somewhere like Radio Shack. Problem here is - I have no idea on the specs of the resistor you'll need. I used the kits on mine. They did work fine, though - and have for at least 8 or 9 years.

Back