intiminators

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

speedfreke

Reaction score
Has anyone tried the ricor intiminators? I read on a couple harley forums and they really seem to like them.

They posted on here. Said they offer ones for the 93 on up
and would give members 1/2 off I believe. Also said they
would give someone with a pre 93 a free set if they sent
them the forks to design I guess. I pm'ed them as I was
taking my forks apart anyway. Haven't received any response
so who knows. Check the posts for Ricor.
Regards

Well I bought a set of Ricor Intiminators to compare them to my current set up, Racetech valve emulators with progressive springs. I recently put on a set of Progressive 440 shocks on the back, that have the Inertia Active System in them and they work very well! So I figure to have the same IAS system on the front and back should be a nice combo, but I guess we will know for sure soon.

Mike

Mike ,
I'm fairly naive on suspension. What exactly is an emulator,
what does it do,what if anything does it replace in the fork
and finally what improvement should you see ?
Thanks
Chris

Well I bought a set of Ricor Intiminators to compare them to my current set up, Racetech valve emulators with progressive springs. I recently put on a set of Progressive 440 shocks on the back, that have the Inertia Active System in them and they work very well! So I figure to have the same IAS system on the front and back should be a nice combo, but I guess we will know for sure soon.

Mike

It replaces the stock damper. You drill the compression holes out so that the emulator...which sits on top of the damper rod.....takes over compression dampening duties. www.racetech.com will give more details.

Thanks for the clicky Maleko. Lot's of great info on their site. Prices seemed to be fair too.
It also gives a great explanation of what an emulator does.

Call them at 888-425-1333. I called and got voicemail, and within minutes he returned my call, and had no problem spending as much time needed to explain things to me. While I am unsure about the product until I get the chance to use it, I am very pleased with the amount of concern for customers and potential customers show by RICOR. Something that is becoming harder to find in business. If the product is near good as their support, it's a great deal.

Thanks Buster,
Thats a pretty informative little video.
I'm one of those guys that can understand by
seeing a lot better than explaining to me.
Would it be worth the bucks though, or would
the Racetech emulators work just as well. The're
also cheaper.
Course thats the million dollar question , huh.

Here's my opinion on the Ricor Intiminators. So far I have only put on about 150 miles on the new set up on my 2006 max.

Old setup;

Progressive springs with about 60,000 miles on them
Racetech Gold Valve Emulators
15wt Silkonene fork oil
Jedi's Fork brace/clamp
1 1/2" drop in the triple trees
Aftermarket fork brace

New setup;

Same old progressive springs
Ricor Intiminators
5wt Amsoil Synthetic oil
Jedi's fork brace/clamp
3/4" drop in triple trees
Aftermarket fork brace

Now keep in mind that the roads in Sudbury are very bad from frost heaving and poor maintenance.

First ride impression was that the front suspension felt very different from the old set up. The old fork springs didn't seem to be an issue anymore. With the Ricor's, small imperfections in the roads pretty much disappear. Riding over large potholes, manholes cut the jarring effect in half. Also, I could not bottom the forks out on any bump - where i could on the old set up. Cornering fells more stable and sure then the old set up too.

The other thing that I noticed and was hoping for, is that the Progressive 440's with the Ricor IAS (Intiminators) and the new setup in the front end work very well together - much better than with the old set up.

Another big benefit of the Intiminators is that they are very easy to install versus the Racetech. No drilling of the damper rod, etc... just change oil, shorten the spacer tube by a 1/2" and drop them in and that's it - no disassembly after to adjust the Intiminators. For the Racetech, I had to take them out three times to adjust them before I was happy with them - what a pain in the ass.

Overall, I am very happy I made this mod and with all the mods that I made to the suspension - front and back - definitely makes the max ride like a modern bike versus an 80's era bike.

Mike

Mike, great write-up! Great product!

Did you disassemble your forks and remove your emulators Mike?

Great to hear they are working well for you Mike. Just ordered a pair, awsome discount! One question, after installation, do you add any air to the shocks, or do you use them with no air at all?

Great to hear they are working well for you Mike. Just ordered a pair, awsome discount! One question, after installation, do you add any air to the shocks, or do you use them with no air at all?

I didn't add any air to the forks. I think you'd be better off getting your sag set up properly and then your golden. I cut a my spacer to be about a 1/4" above the top of the fork tube, which gives alittle better that an inch spring preload.

Got to say, these intiminators do work great - very happy with them installed.

Mike

Thanks Mike. Is there a rule of thumb when setting the sag? I am use to doing it on the sportbikes I've had, but need a reference point for the vmax. I'm more into the twisties than straight line performance, so that is how I would like to set up the suspension. I searched for sag on the forum, but came up with nothing.

Thanks Mike. Is there a rule of thumb when setting the sag? I am use to doing it on the sportbikes I've had, but need a reference point for the vmax. I'm more into the twisties than straight line performance, so that is how I would like to set up the suspension. I searched for sag on the forum, but came up with nothing.

Sag should be set between 1/4 to 1/3 of total travel of forks - vmax spec is 5.5" of travel.

Mike

OK, thanks for the info Mike. I guess you see what the sag is without the spacer, then cut it to the length you need to give you the correct sag?

Back