What the heck is that noise?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabbidcow55

Reaction score
So I put the metzler 170 rear tire on my 03. I did the washer switch just like the instructions told me to, everything to the T. However, and maybe even before I did the switch (don't remember) it is making a very slight clicking noise but only when a certain part of the wheel comes around the rotation. I took it apart, cleaned and greased everything, but still makes it. I checked the bearings and they are fine, but it only makes the noise when the axel is fully put through the wheel and swingarm. I triple checked all of the clearances, removed the rear caliper, but nothing. I tried feeling around for the source of the knocking/clicking and think it might be the inner spacer in the hub. Anybody else have this issue?

So I put the metzler 170 rear tire on my 03. I did the washer switch just like the instructions told me to, everything to the T. However, and maybe even before I did the switch (don't remember) it is making a very slight clicking noise but only when a certain part of the wheel comes around the rotation. I took it apart, cleaned and greased everything, but still makes it. I checked the bearings and they are fine, but it only makes the noise when the axel is fully put through the wheel and swingarm. I triple checked all of the clearances, removed the rear caliper, but nothing. I tried feeling around for the source of the knocking/clicking and think it might be the inner spacer in the hub. Anybody else have this issue?

Mr. Cow -
Just to clarify that your bike has the same noise as my 03-
Put the bike on the center stand, and slowly rotate the rear wheel backwards.
Do you hear what sounds like a BB dropping, always at the same point of rotation? If so, does spinning the wheel much faster, in the forward direction, cause the noise to disappear?

Mr. Long, yes it does exactly that :)

See Wheels and Tires forum, 03/04/09 - "metal noise inside wheel hub"
The hub itself is hollow - something obviously is in the void, makes a noise at low rpms. But- with higher rpms , centrifugal force causes the loose part to go to the outer periphery, negating the noise.
This may be a hub bolt end, part of the wheel casting, etc - I will not know until I change out the rear tire again, and take apart the hub assembly. Even then, it may be difficult to see the part that is floating around in the hub void.
As you did, when I first noticed the noise, I immediately suspected the bearings, but there was no problem with them. I also confirmed that the noise is originating from the wheel itself, by taking the wheel/tire completely off the bike and rolling it on the floor - same noise.
I'm not overly concerned about the noise - it may have been present since the bike was new. Obviously, something is not right, but because the noise is not present at operating speeds, my opinion is that this is not a safety concern.
Your opinion may differ
Cheers!

make sures not one of the damper sleeves on the cush drive too.

Back