R/R replacement.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Seward

Reaction score
A couple years ago, I replaced a failed voltage regulator with a newer model, the one that has a dedicated ground wire. Both output wires now go directly to battery. I am getting good voltage (13.3 or so) at idle, and 14.4 at 2000 rpm measured at battery. I mistakenly thought this was a MOSFET unit, and even mentioned that fact here. Turns out I was wrong. I've detetmined that this is a shunt style regulator. Apologies for the misinformation. The unit works great, but I recently bought a MOSFET unit, and the connectors to wire it up. The fenders and faux tank are coming back from the painter Saturday, so I'll install it then. I'm using posi-lock connectors to the stator, and soldered eyelet terminals to the battery. I don't expect any major increases in charging, as it is the best it's ever been now, but I do expect the unit to run cooler, and be more reliable.
The shunt unit is a Rick's, bought on Amazon, and I got the information that it is a shunt unit from them.. Once I test out the new one and all is OK, I will offer the Ricks unit up for sale at a great price, I'll have it with me at Thunder. Buyer will have to extend wires to stator and battery himself..

I did the electrical install of the MOSFET R/R unit a few minutes ago. I got 13.7 volts at idle, and 14.6 at over 1500 RPM. Measured at battery.. Overall, it seems everything went up about half a volt or so.. One thing I noticed immediately was noticeably brighter lights. I installed relays last summer, but evidently the extra voltage and charge current really made things brighter. Horns blow louder, too. One question. I ran the bike about 5 minutes, and the unit got warm. Not at all hot, and it wasn't getting any warmer after it reached temperature. Is this what they all do?

I've got COPS on the '85, so there is a lot of room over the battery. I moved the starter solenoid over to the left side of the battery area, and Dremeled off any unnecessary metal from the coil bracket. This left me plenty of room to put the R/R in place simply with a few zip ties. My voltmeter mounted onboard is about a half volt less than the voltage measured at battery, and was reading 14.0 to 14.1 after a brisk ride. so probably 14.5 or so at the battery. Unit didnt get hot, but did get warm, but not nearly too hot to touch..

Attachments

• P_20150509_134043.jpg
    P_20150509_134043.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 36

Latest posts

Back