DIY oil puke tank

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bumper

Reaction score
This is still in the beta testing stage, but so far it's working. I was getting oil in the air box after running high rpm. This in turn srewed up the paj1 and air corrector. So I came up with this. A 6 1\2 piece of 1 1\4 PVC pipe capped with three barrbed 1\4 connectors. I drilled the so called drain at the front of the air box so the line would go through. I then ran the line along the frame to the battery box and then down with a small engine fuel shut off in line.

Inside the box I pulled the tubes that is between the carbs and capped one end and hooked the other to my bottle. Also drilled a small vent hole topside on the tube.

Attachments

• image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 103
  • image4.jpg
    image4.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 95
  • image5.jpg
    image5.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 98
  • image3.jpg
    image3.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 97
  • image7.jpg
    image7.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 91
  • image6.jpg
    image6.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 104
I don't vent it into the carb filters. Though the vapor gets sucked in i'm sure. Liquid oil coats the hose and catch tank then drains back. Too much oil makes it worse to manage.

Last edited:
It sounds to me like you just need to run less oil in your Vmax.
Over filling just puts more oil in the air box which in turn ends up in your carbs.
I keep mine at around 3/4 way up in the sight glass and have never had any issues with the carbs due to oil in the air box.

I am just above the bottom line and yes it does not push as much if I keep it low. If I stay out of the v boost there is really nothing then. Half a dozen v boost and about half a teaspoon in the air box. As it was about every two weeks I was peashooting I figured I needed to do something. I made a vent on the top of the pipe so if anything went through it wouldn't hydra lock. I really don't get anything on my stock 85, this 1300 is another story.

Thanks for the input, always looking for others thoughts.

Been driving it like I stole for that last two days. Pulled the air box cover this morning and no oil in the air box. Nothing to drain either. I can see condensation on the short lines in the air box but zero oil. Its helping to hold the oil but still gives it ventilation. I even opened the drain cock and left it open this morning while driving and no oil is being pushed out, but it still vents.

Back