EFI Questions/Polls

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Are you interested in a EFI setup for your VMAX ?

• Yes... EFI with full engine ignition management.

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • yes... EFI only (I'm good to go with the existing ignition)

Votes: 12 52.2%
  • No... I'm perfectly happy with my VMAX the way it is.

Votes: 3 13.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TURBOVMAX

Reaction score
To get an idea of how many VMAX owners are actually interested in the EFI conversion and to air questions about the setup. I thought it would be a good idea to start this thread. Anybody can post a question and along with the question we might want to poll that question. That way we could get a clear consensus as to which direction we should proceed with the project.

Great idea Gary, I will be defiantly interested in a EFI setup. I have a few other things I wanted to get done before I go to the EFI probably a couple of years. Kiinda depends on which way the economy swings.:confused2:

Definitely at some point in the future but like redbone, I have other things I would like to get done first. Either way, I think if it's affordable and hassle free people will bite and it will also be a good option to have available too.

I kinda think i would like it too :)
Would be great if it was hassle free(too late for me on that one though! lol)

I'm pretty happy with the way my bike is running right now but I certainly wouldn't rule out the possibility for the future.
You could classify me as 'in a wait & see' mode but watching with interest.

the biggest thing for most people is going to be cost vs benefit (and some it is simply cost). If you can put down cost options this will help people try and make decisions that may help you decide what to do.

Sean

the biggest thing for most people is going to be cost vs benefit (and some it is simply cost). If you can put down cost options this will help people try and make decisions that may help you decide what to do.

Sean

Sean,

I do have that in mind next... but there are many factors especially from the fab end. Different throttle bodies and mountings etc. Right now I'm just trying to figure out what to do first. If there are more people wanting the full management, there will be additional work. It may be that there isn't enough interest at all in doing the basic version. Let's say I get 15 replies to the post which to date is what we have with the other poll, well that's out of over 600 views and I know lots of the views were prior to the poll. That's very little interest at all. So forget about castings etc. because there isn't enough numbers to drive the cost down. Just thinkin out loud... bare with me

Would this sytem be a Full Motor Management EFI?

I have been wanting a efi, but $4250.00 for efi is a little pricey and another 2000.00 for Full motor management.

I would definitely be interested in a EFI system if it were around 2000.00-2500.00, which I think is feasable.

I am slightly interested in your turbo. But I have never liked the looks of a turbo on a max. how about a supercharger? vortex maybe?

Would this sytem be a Full Motor Management EFI?

I have been wanting a efi, but $4250.00 for efi is a little pricey and another 2000.00 for Full motor management.

I would definitely be interested in a EFI system if it were around 2000.00-2500.00, which I think is feasible.

I am slightly interested in your turbo. But I have never liked the looks of a turbo on a max. how about a supercharger? vortex maybe?

Yes..I believe the price is now 6850.00 full management and based on other projects I've done the 2500.00 or less is an easy goal. That's providing we are able to use Megasquirt as the controller. The bone yard throttle bodies are plentiful and cheap (200.00 or less) and already have a lot of the components we need. The FMM setup is a very nice looking system and was designed mechanically in Europe ground up. That's where I think we have a big advantage in terms of price.

We'll see and by the way Turbo's Rule!:biglaugh: I do like superchargers, the sound on a max is awesome. Think a lot of the problems with using one is pulling the fuel through. When we get this system up and running I may give one a try blowing through the injection.

Last edited:
As a pro mechanic since '83 who realizes the benefits of EFI over carburation would I be interested in a full EFI system for my VMAX ? HELL YES ! As a pro mechanic since'83 who lives on a mechanics salary & finally afforded last year the first "muscle machine" of my life would I invest 1000+ dollars to convert mine ? HELL NO ! I love the idea & I think it's cool as hell that people do these conversions - I love reading the high performance threads you guys post here - I spend hours readind this stuff - economically I could never do it myself. Maybe in the distant future, but right now a Kerker 4-2-1 & a Morley jet kit are just a wet dream to me. And if I hit the lotto it's an '09 for me baby !!!

As a pro mechanic since '83 who realizes the benefits of EFI over carburation would I be interested in a full EFI system for my VMAX ? HELL YES ! As a pro mechanic since'83 who lives on a mechanics salary & finally afforded last year the first "muscle machine" of my life would I invest 1000+ dollars to convert mine ? HELL NO ! I love the idea & I think it's cool as hell that people do these conversions - I love reading the high performance threads you guys post here - I spend hours readind this stuff - economically I could never do it myself. Maybe in the distant future, but right now a Kerker 4-2-1 & a Morley jet kit are just a wet dream to me. And if I hit the lotto it's an '09 for me baby !!!

Well put! The 09 dosen't do a whole lot for me, especially at almost 20K. I'd gladly spend another 3K on mine before I buy a new one. I'd just modify the shit out of it over time trying to make it look like a 1st gen. Just don't like the looks. We will complete the project and hopefully it will be affordable. If not...you'll all know how to do it if you want to.

Gary,

My name is Zee (soulymax in many forums), am a friend of Sean and I have my own workshop at home, have done many projects and repairs on cruiser and sport bikes.

EFI + Management & Turbo is great mod I have been thinking about but as many people said $$$ play a roll in that. I was thinking myself to "ground" my max in my workshop until a turbo is fitted on it !!! The mod was so much in my mind, it made me buy 2 small turbos in out of a toyota car (called mark 2)

I will continue reading your posts and good luck.

Zee

Gary,

My name is Zee (soulymax in many forums), am a friend of Sean and I have my own workshop at home, have done many projects and repairs on cruiser and sport bikes.

EFI + Management & Turbo is great mod I have been thinking about but as many people said $$$ play a roll in that. I was thinking myself to "ground" my max in my workshop until a turbo is fitted on it !!! The mod was so much in my mind, it made me buy 2 small turbos in out of a toyota car (called mark 2)

I will continue reading your posts and good luck.

Zee

Hi Zee,

Welcome to the forum! We will be getting to the turbo install after we get the EFI setup complete. I'll be building a bike this winter and if you can do things on your own, that will keep the cost down. Twin turbos is the way to go as far as the setup is concerned, It's really the only to go if you want to keep the exhaust primaries short and the rest of the plumbing clean. So if you want to start sooner... you can start by working on the mounting those bad boys up. Lots of plumbing to do. Why not start a turbo project right here on the forum? Maybe we can help you along the way.

Thank you Gary for your reply. My only concern is the conversion from carb to EFI. I see you guys have progressed alot on that.

Am sure you are aware that fitting a turbo on a vmax is easier if you have already EFI. I would like to share your inputs on the EFI conversion.

What have you done so far ? Which manifolds you used out of GSX ? I have also read why you prefer haltech on Mega ecu .... how did the wiring go ?

Honestly, its not clear to me on where did you reach in this project !! I have been jumping from one post to another LOL & BTW, your website server is always slow !!

Good Luck

Zee

Thank you Gary for your reply. My only concern is the conversion from crab to EFI. I see you guys have progressed alot on that.

Am sure you are aware that fitting a turbo on a Max is easier if you have already EFI. I would like to share your inputs on the EDI conversion.

What have you done so far ? Which manifolds you used out of GS ? I have also read why you prefer Haltech on Mega EC .... how did the wiring go ?

Honestly, its not clear to me on where did you reach in this project !! I have been jumping from one post to another LIL & BTW, your website server is always slow !!

Good Luck

Zee

Zee.... LOL

Thanks for your input. We'll see if we can clear things up for you! If you want to learn how to turbo charge your bike... keep reading. The EFI project is progressing and I'll update soon.

Gary,

To be frank ... am not into electricals and I hate burning fuses LOL. So I will leave you with the Heltech and its wiring and will stay happy with oily works.

Good luck and I will continue reading ...

Zee

Back