06 vmax Air/fuel mixture screw

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John07

Reaction score
hello
I removed my mixture screws today and one is backed out of threads but will not come forward. I have blasted carb cleaner and air down paj1 and it does not move so I can grab it. Any thoughts. Also what size are the mixture orings? I read they were 3mmx1mm but also read 2.65 x ? Mine are ate up so need to replace them. Harbor freight has a kit with the 3mmx1mm. My local shop does not stock anything. I have a carb tune to sync the carbs but was wondering if I should set the mixture first then sync or is it the opposite.
Thanks

Finally got it out with a modified pair of tweezers. It looks like when it was stuck and I was spinning it in the hole, the tip was rubbing on the spring and put a small scratch on the needle part. Is this still ok can barely fool it.
All the outing were bad. Is there someone on here I can purchase them from?
That’s for any info you can give me
JohnT

Sorry spell check always changes the letters.
What I said was all the prongs were bad and need to purchase more. About the scratch on the needle, can barely feel it with finger nail. Can I purchase new mixture screws and Orings?
Thanks. I really need to get this running.

Can someone tell me if I can install my new carb mixture screw orings on the screw and then install everything together or do I have to install the Orings by themselves. If by themselves, how do I do it so that they get in the groove ang stay there?
Thanks

As inexpensive as the screw, washer, spring, and o-ring are, you should just replace the whole thing.

From revzilla.com: $8.49 for one carb assembly, you will need 4
PILOT SCREW SET
12R-14105-00-00 $8.49

I suggest buying the small O-rings under the diaphragm cap/carb slide cover, they're easy to lose if you remove the CV diaphragm/carb slide cap. You need 4. You can try sourcing them somewhere else for cheaper, but I always keep a couple on-hand so when one rolls-under the workbench to Never Seen Again Land, your bike won't be dead in the water.
O-RING
93210-03119-00 $6.54

The pilot jets are notoriously easy to become stopped-up. You should keep a couple on-hand, easier than trying to clean them, which takes a very-fine single strand of wire. One per carb body.
JET, PILOT (#37.5)
4G0-14142-37-A0 $6.99

The rubber plugs for the jet block are something else which hardens with age, and they are also quick to run-away during a carb disassembly. There are two different sizes. A couple of each, so you aren't dead in the water, if Never Seen Again Land claims one after it drops to the floor.

CAP
22V-14968-00-00 $9.66
for the pilot jet

CAP
22U-14968-00-00 $8.50
for the main bleed pipe (the other jet in the jet block, and it's the larger/longer one

You don't need to buy new pilot jets if you can clean them effectively, but it is a good thing to keep at-least one of the trouble-prone parts on-hand for replacement duty. The rubber caps in the jet block become hardened with time. They also become magnets for rust from the tank, if the rubber end inside the jet block is orange instead of black, you have a tank rust problem, and you are likely to have idling issues, off-idle hesitation, and intermittent firing on one or more cylinders at initial throttle operation. This is caused by a plugged pilot jet. It's common for a plugged pilot jet or jets to produce a 'stumble' on initial throttle, which goes-away as the larger jet passages take-over, or the main jet.

carb hot tank VMax.01.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for all that info. I already ordered new mixture screws and orings sets for all 4 carbs. They have not arrived yet. How do I install the oring that goes on the mixture screw? Does it install with the mixture screw or by itself with a tool?
Also can the pilot jets be removed without removing the carb assm?
I will look into ordering the parts you suggested for future repairs.
Thanks

Sean Morley and dannymax are the carb guys on here. I am a hobbyist.

I had an Oring that crapped the bed while I was several towns away, I brought a screw with a good one on it to NAPA and selected an Oring that looked as close as the OEM as I could find. I got a few of them to keep in the saddle for emergencies. The same trick works if you have a weeping float bowl drain.

I'm glad this came up, I've been meaning to order the correct OEM replacements.

How do I install the oring that goes on the mixture screw? Does it install with the mixture screw or by itself with a tool?

Assemble the A/F screw with the spring, washer, & O-ring. Then seat the screw (lightly) and back it out to where you want it. Wd-40 on the O-ring. This will seat the o-ring in the groove.

The pilot jets? You'll have to remove the jet blocks to install them. Make sure to have the jet block gaskets on hand with the other parts mentioned. Carb bowl cover gaskets usually are reusable. I never tried it without removing the carb. rack. I think it would be much more difficult if even possible with carbs mounted.You have to push the tubes out to remove the jet blocks. A boot inspection is always worth doing at the same time. Sometimes they look ok but have cracks in them thay'll make you crazy trying to get the bike to run well.

Last edited:
I have a carb tune to sync the carbs but was wondering if I should set the mixture first then sync or is it the opposite.

I sync first, then set the A/F mixture screws. 2 1/2 turned out from a lightly seated position is a good starting point where it should run ok. Then set it to where you run the best. 2 turns to 3 1/2 turns out are the usual.

How do I install the oring that goes on the mixture screw? Does it install with the mixture screw or by itself with a tool?

Assemble the A/F screw with the spring, washer, & O-ring. Then seat the screw (lightly) and back it out to where you want it. Wd-40 on the O-ring. This will seat the o-ring in the groove.

The pilot jets? You'll have to remove the jet blocks to install them. Make sure to have the jet block gaskets on hand with the other parts mentioned. Carb bowl cover gaskets usually are reusable.

. Gasket- for the base of the jet block

3JB-14199-00-00

$8.53

https://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/yam/50045c0ef8700209bc7942f3/carburetor

Thanks guys for all the info. My new parts should be here next week. I may have some more questions then.

Back