1300cc Stocker?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
looks like i may stand corrected. in which case all the better!

Actually this ad may not be BS as it were. Yamaha ran out of Vmax engines when building the 88 Max and used 1300 Venture engines with Vmax heads on a very limited number of production bikes. Damon Ferriaoulo (damn I hope I spelled that right) from Michigan has run into one of these in the past. With very little research on this particular bike one might be able to confirm it is one of these bikes.

Thevmaxrider.. do you know of anyway to contact Damon? I'd really be interested in hearing what he has to say. Thanks.

A buddy of mine at work has one of these 1988 1300cc. I've seen it and rode it. The first time I rode it I couldn't believe how well it ran. When I found out about these bikes I had him check his and sure enough his was one of them so that expains why it ran so good.

Kelvin

I've decided to buy the bike. It's a clean bike with low miles either way on the CC's, nicer than my '92. Owner accepted my offer and just working out the minor details since it is on consignment at a bike shop. Looks like I will be selling my other one very soon. Plus there is also the Suzuki GS1000G and the two GS1100E's that I need to get rid of. Please don't tell Saint Pamela (the wife).

How's about this picture of the emissions tag for documentation?

I looked at the bike today. Starts and runs. It won't take any throttle at all without stalling and won't stay running without lots of choke. I usually figure that is a carb problem. If the jets are partially clogged, the carbs run lean and you need to add choke.

It's an '88 with nearly 20K miles. Asking price is a bit north of $3K. NADA lists a '95 at $2500. I think this overboard price wise. Opinions?

LC

Dealer filled the tank with fresh gas and ran it for a bit. Still not running right. Dealer told owner/consignor it needs a carb cleaning. The owner said he always ran StaBil through it and it ran OK when he rode it this Spring. Shouldn't fuel filter help keep carbs clean? Could there be a problem with the fuel filter? Dealer quoted $400 to clean carbs and sync. Seems a bit pricey to me. Opinions?

Turns out the 1300cc was a myth. Sean Morley provided to me this info in this newer thread. http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=9708 I almost bought this bike in July/August. It ran great on the dyno, but the pipes were too loud to be legal here. It was up again on eBay this week for only $2500 and the winner got it for $2650. I looked at it again yesterday and the casting number showed it was a 1200, not a 1300. It was also back to running like crap after the current owner spent a few hundred having the carbs cleaned and some intake parts replaced at the consignment shop. It wouldn't idle without choke. I think the owner truly believed it was a 1300 and someone pulled a scam on a prior owner. The owner thought it was a European spec model, but other casting numbers didn't support that either. Thanks to Sean, I saved myself close to $3K. Not a bad bike, but not worth what I would have paid for it being a 1300 versus the newer 1200 I currently own. King, this case is closed.

good to know. is there such a thing somewhere as a 1300cc stock one?

If you follow the thread, you will read that there were a few made in 1988.

u said it was a myth in ur previous post? or did u mean this specific one?

I have personally never seen one. I think maybe some stickers made on some tank covers by mistake but that's about it. If someone can post pictures (or verify the cc's cast into the block) and then match the vin stamped into the case (back by the middle gear area) then we can maybe finally put this myth to bed.

Sean

...then we can maybe finally put this myth to bed.

Rides a 1300:

sasquatch.jpg

If there is one out there (1300), would be a pretty cool bike to own.

Back