1984 FJ1100 vs 1985 Vmax

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice article.

My buddy had several FJ's. I would consistently pull him in a 1/4 mile race.......I'd walk him easily in roll-ons from 50 mph as well.

I'm talking about an FJ 1200. My Max had a full Pipe and was jetted, his FJ ha slipons only. We weigh approximately the same.

Back in the days when these things were new , I had a few go rounds with the then new V Max , on my then year old Honda VF1000R . Riders and experience aside they were pretty even . The better rider would win on either bike . I loved the Honda and kept it a few years more . I was so impressed by the Max from riding it against my friend riding my Honda it was a no brainer when it came time to buy a new toy . Therefore my first ( of two ) V Max...never a regret...:punk:

My '87 FZR1000 would beat my '92 VMax w/comparable riders. Plus, after the 1/4 the FZR was still stable and had another 35 mph while the VMax was like Slim Pickens in Dr. Strangelove, at the movie's end...

strangelove.jpg

I bought both a year old, the VMax had < 2K mi. the FZR1000 ~2700 mi. The VMax was originally sold and then traded-in at the Ft. Lauderdale FL Yamaha dealer because the bike was too-much for the rider, he got a Virago instead. The FZR1000 I bought from a co-worker on fire-rescue, he always had toys. After that, he bought a 35' Monza deep-V outboard powerboat. That thing was thirsty but it could run 50 knots easily. Better have a deep wallet to keep that operational and used frequently.

The FZR was a very fast bike in 1987. I remember trying to catch one and not believing that I couldn't......cause I had never had that happen before.

I think for stock bikes it was about the fastest that year, the GSXR1100 was very comparable, but a wet weight of ~500 lbs, and 122 RWHP (Cycle magazine, July 1987), plus the bodywork for superior aero qualities over nearly anything then sold, well, the FZR1000 was 'the one,' for a couple of years, and then the other manufacturers developed their weapons for the open streetbike class. The ZX-10 Kawi was faster than my '87 by 1989, but Yamaha came-out w/a better FZR1000, and suddenly the bikes were flirting w/170 mph. The ZX-11 after that held top-speed honors for awhile until the Honda Blackbird was released, and then it was the Hyabusa.

I still have my FZR1000, it doesn't get ridden much. When I do take it out, the sportbike guys give it a lot of street cred, the older ones know what it is, and the younger ones can't believe it when I tell 'em it's older than they are and they can't catch it on their 600 sportbikes! :biglaugh:

I have a complete spare set of stock bodywork for it, and flatslides, and a stainless steel Supertrapp full exhaust. None of it is installed. The cams were a good design, after the first year they installed milder cams which took about 10% off the top end power, according to the roadtest/dynos of the time but which gave the midrange a big increase, so better for the usage most riders would give it. Someday I'll put that stuff on, to see what it can do, retirement's not far-off. Tuned, I think something around 135 RWHP.

The FZR was a very fast bike in 1987. I remember trying to catch one and not believing that I couldn't......cause I had never had that happen before.

The gsxr did not come out until '85 in canada and '86 in usa.
It was 2/10's quicker than a Vmax in the 1/4 mile and weighed 433pds 128hp
The yamaha 1100 was quicker than the Vmax in '85 and the Vmax was no comparison to the gsxr in the 1/4 mile-any year. Therefor the Vmax was never the fastest bike of the year ever as so many think.

Back