• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to VMAX Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

1997 Harley Davidson Dyna Wide Glide - Excellent Condition -SOLD-

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeeLo

Reaction score
Asking $5,500

1997 Harley Davidson Dyna Wide Glide
14,570 miles.
Starts right up and drives as it should.
I just don't ride often enough, and would like to see somebody else enjoy this clean, smooth bike!

Second owner. Bought from original owner in Odell, IL @ 9,400 miles.
Bike is in excellent condition - minimal wear & tear described in "item condition" section.
Garage kept in the summer and finished-basement kept during the winter.
Does not leak any fluids.
Engine is stock.

Extras installed:
Kuryakyn ISO Chrome Grips with ThrottleBoss
Kuryakyn Chrome Switch Housings
Windshield with Chrome Supports
Harley Davidson Leather Saddle Bags
Chrome Rear Luggage Platform
Aftermarket Loud Exhaust Pipes

Comes with: Clymer information/service manual

Any and all questions about the bike are welcome.

Excellent condition with some scratches:
- Left front of gas tank has clear coat chip.
- Right front of gas tank has 2 small paint chips/dents from windshield mount.
- Chrome cover on left side has small dent.
- Case on left side has scratch on lower portion.
- Tires have lots of tread but some aging cracks near rims.
- Passenger seat has small surface chip on the top. Approx. 1/4" long.
- Small chip in chrome at base of rear turn signal mount.
- Small chip in black paint on frame near steer lock.

Attachments

• CycleTrader_Harley_Left_Small.jpg
    CycleTrader_Harley_Left_Small.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 78
  • CycleTrader_Harley_Right_Rear_Small.jpg
    CycleTrader_Harley_Right_Rear_Small.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 68
  • CycleTrader_RF_Windshield_Small.jpg
    CycleTrader_RF_Windshield_Small.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 61
  • CycleTrader_Tank_Ding_Small.jpg
    CycleTrader_Tank_Ding_Small.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Re: 1997 Harley Davidson Dyna Wide Glide - Excellent Condition

A good looking bike, w/a lotta miles left in it, Evo engine, it's gonna make someone happy. Dynas probably handle the best of the Big Twins.

Here's 'someone's Softail,' one year older FLSTN (w/different tins). Taken at Daytona on the beach a bit north of the action on State Route A1A (the beach road).

Attachments

• 2015 AMCA Dania-Daytona-house 130.jpg
    2015 AMCA Dania-Daytona-house 130.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 40

That's a nice looking bike, Fire-medic! Wish I could sell mine, as I just need some more garage space for things I actually ride/use.

I'm dropping the price down to $5,500 to sell quickly.

Some candy red paint and it would be a twin to my '81 FXWG Wide Glide.

That, and a bike engine not designed around a '48 Panhead, which is the parent engine of the Shovelhead. :rofl_200:

Were they popular? What were the bikes in Easyrider based-upon? The Terry Southern-written movie, not the magazine.

Panheads!

And, what's a Shovelhead, but a Panhead w/a different top-end?

Since you like the Shovelheads, here are some pics from my travels, Milwaukee and Daytona, where I shot some pics which you may find interesting.

The 'boattail' Superglide, Willie G. Davidson's first designed bike, the first 'factory custom' H-D turned loose. Little did they know what influence this bike, and it's design would have on the entire company to the present day! It had a rear end style treatment which proved to be very controversial. One of my friends in Battle Creek MI bought one that first year, and I thought it was gorgeous, though I was more into riding offroad at the time (a new RT-2 Yamaha from M & M Cycles, in the next city, they're still around).

The guy w/the 1980 80 cubic inch Lowrider is the original owner, my Daytona traveling buddy. Taken on A1A (the beach road, see Jimmy Buffett) in Atlantic Beach FL.

Some candy red paint and it would be a twin to my '81 FXWG Wide Glide.

Attachments

• May 2011 Milwaukee-April HPFFA 132.jpg
    May 2011 Milwaukee-April HPFFA 132.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 21
  • May 2011 Milwaukee-April HPFFA 131.jpg
    May 2011 Milwaukee-April HPFFA 131.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 19
  • May 2011 Milwaukee-April HPFFA 115.jpg
    May 2011 Milwaukee-April HPFFA 115.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 21
  • 2015 AMCA Dania-Daytona-house 121.jpg
    2015 AMCA Dania-Daytona-house 121.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 22

I have a Love/Hate relationship with the Shovelheads :)
Let's see... my FXWG Shovelhead was 80 cubic inches (1340 cc); problem is that AMF used the cylinders from the 74" (1200 cc) motors and just bored them bigger. Trouble spot was the relief cuts for the cylinder base nuts took too much meat out of the cylinder wall. My rear cylinder exploded soon after I had bought the bike. Good thing the bike had forward controls or I would have had shrapnel in my calf's! What was left of the cylinder was now free to move vertically so the connecting rod hammered the rocker box into the frame tube.
Had a shop do the repair and my "great" idea was to build an even bigger stroker motor with S&S cases, solid lifters, Manley valves, Andrews C grind cam, S&S Super G carb....

I was young (19) had a good paying job at the steel mill, still living at home, so money was no big deal. Dumped 2K into chroming everything while the motor was getting built. Still had my LTD 1000 Kawasaki to ride. Brought the HD to California in '84 during my Navy years (try to register an out of state bike without the factory cases when you are discharged) and spent almost every weekend working on that stupid motor and the ever cracking gas tank mount tabs. Rebuilt it a few times but finally got rid of the leaky thing in 1998 when I picked up an Evo Fatboy. No more weekend wrenching!
But now I have the VMax to work on...

Yeah, seems like the Evolution engine did a lot of good for getting-rid of the AMF era bad memories and mechanical reputation. It's hard to believe the Twin Cam H-D itself is now, what, 17 years old? It used to be, if you owned a Shovel you had to take it to an independent H-D shop because the factory wouldn't work on them, after the Evolution engines were around awhile; now it's the Evo's turn to be 'shunned' by the factory shops.

About the Shovelhead Superglide first-year 'boatail,' you could also get a Sportster w/a similar treatment, which was actually the first H-D to use it.

http://www.ridermagazine.com/manufa...portster-with-boat-tail-option-1970-1971.htm/

Thanks! Sounds like it'll be gone tomorrow :) Will update if sold.

Someone's getting a great deal.

Ya, I sold it to my cousin so he got a great deal on it. I told him if he just stored it over the winter he could easily sell to the right buyer for closer to $6k. I just needed some garage space for winter projects! :)

Last edited:

Someone's got a great ride for not a lot of $, congratulations on the sale. They can probably ride it for a couple of seasons and sell it for not much less.

Back