2009 Vmax

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hercules

Reaction score
Spoke to my buddy at Yamaha today he said $20,000 with tax and tags

I said, "I gotta go smoke some crack and get on the same page"

I spoke with my dealer yesterday and he said he would sell it for under MSRP, he'll tell me tomorrow how much exactly. I suppose after taxes and whatnot the cost will be very comparable to the above mentioned!!

I was told $19,900 but they wouldn't commit to it. Who would put down a $1,000 deposit without a firm out-the-door price? :confused2:

I was told $19,900 but they wouldn't commit to it. Who would put down a $1,000 deposit without a firm out-the-door price? :confused2:

It comes to $19,900.90 out the door taxes tags and I have it and you want it tax from the dealer .
The deposit is NON refundable or transferable

Yamaha is running the show on this one not the dealer

It comes to $19,900.90 out the door taxes tags and I have it and you want it tax from the dealer .

It is illegal in the US for a MFGR to set dealer prices; that's why it called "MSRP"; the "S" stands for suggested.

Dealers can sell a vehicle for any price they want........

I't an anti-trust thing, vehicles MFGR aren't even allowed to sell a vehicle themselves, all dealers are owned by someone other than the MFGR.

As for the deposit thing, I have no idea on that one......although I imagine the mfgr can run that show since that actually invlves the sell of the vehicle from the mfgr to the dealer.....

I wonder who gets to hold the $1,000 deposit....is it the dealer or does the money have to be sent to Yamaha ? I imagine that many dealers will use the names of their employees to put the deposit under and order the bikes., just like they did with the FJR 's. The deposit is non-transferable, but when the bike comes in it gets titled to whoever coughs up the cash.

Since this is a new product that was introduced in uncertain economic times, few dealers will want to quote a final price. If they quote too low, they will be butt kicking themselves if the bikes command MSRP or above. Then again, it the hype proves wrong, they might be stuck with bikes that turn out to be slow movers and will have to be discounted.

Paying $19,900 OTD equals MSRP plus sales tax, freight and prep and possibly dealer fees. Only time will tell how fair a price it turns out to be. Just be sure you have a signed contract (by a store manager, not just a salesman) itemizing all the costs and showing the actual OLTD price less the deposit.. A verbal quote on a handshake means nothing.

Richard

I wonder who gets to hold the $1,000 deposit....is it the dealer or does the money have to be sent to Yamaha ? I imagine that many dealers will use the names of their employees to put the deposit under and order the bikes., just like they did with the FJR 's. The deposit is non-transferable, but when the bike comes in it gets titled to whoever coughs up the cash.

Since this is a new product that was introduced in uncertain economic times, few dealers will want to quote a final price. If they quote too low, they will be butt kicking themselves if the bikes command MSRP or above. Then again, it the hype proves wrong, they might be stuck with bikes that turn out to be slow movers and will have to be discounted.

Paying $19,900 OTD equals MSRP plus sales tax, freight and prep and possibly dealer fees. Only time will tell how fair a price it turns out to be. Just be sure you have a signed contract (by a store manager, not just a salesman) itemizing all the costs and showing the actual OLTD price less the deposit.. A verbal quote on a handshake means nothing.

Richard
dealer holds the $1000.00.

Richard

All good points.......

As far as a fair price, you can always pay about 4k more for a really nice Harley....I hate to think about paying that much for a bike but I don't think it's really out of line either.....my guess is Demand won't be nearly what they hoped tho' and they'll not sell for a premium.....

I got an official quote from my dealer. He'll sell it for $1,000 under MSRP and after taxes it will be just over $18K. I will make a decision in a few weeks.

It is illegal in the US for a MFGR to set dealer prices; that's why it called "MSRP"; the "S" stands for suggested.

Dealers can sell a vehicle for any price they want........

I't an anti-trust thing, vehicles MFGR aren't even allowed to sell a vehicle themselves, all dealers are owned by someone other than the MFGR.

As for the deposit thing, I have no idea on that one......although I imagine the mfgr can run that show since that actually invlves the sell of the vehicle from the mfgr to the dealer.....

How this works its star [acting as the distributer] that is running the show for Yamaha[the manufacturer] here in the US,Yamaha actually has to pay Star to distribute the bike. thats how their getting away with this.

Back