2nd Throttle

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikemax04

Reaction score
If your right hand ever felt like it needed a rest on the longer cruises, a 2nd throttle is a big help right where you would relax it, hanging by your side. A quality mower throttle can be used for this purpose. Pulling up on it works just as good as a twist of the top one.

Attachments

• Throttle.jpg
    Throttle.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 151
I like the concept...BUT I would be very leery about doing this due to the Max's power can get you in trouble in a big hurry !!! I would be nervous about it getting stuck on WOT. It happened to me on my RM dirt bike, never mind happening to me on my max. Plus only having one hand on the bars at the time is even worse.

Be careful with that mod Mike. Not saying that you don't know what your doing ( I'm sure that you do ) and you probably only use it on very open roads, but I'm saying this because of that situation with the throttle scares my. Make sure you have a real good spring on it for recoil. Maybe in 5 to 10 I'd be more comfortable on doing that mod.

Thanks for your concern Rob but it's only a cruising throttle, works very freely with no chance of a hangup. I've had this mod on all my other bikes with never a problem for over 40 years. Those that can't make it fool proof, should never even try something like this, besides they wouldn't know where to start anyway. All my mods are options and food for thought only. Anything can be hazardous if not done correctly, as I'm sure you know.

Is it possible for us to see how it is hooked up. I can't see how you did it from the picture. I do have my ideas. If you wish to share a few more photos in closer detail, I for one would like to have a look. I have a problem with my fingers going numb. The odd time I just have to let it coast as I take my hand off the throttle. I know I may have to resort to this in my later years.....

It wasn't on a vmax, but one year at Bike Week, I saw a guys bike who used a spring loaded whammy bar from an electric guitar and mounted it right next to his knee and used that when his hand got tired. Not that It's something I would do, But It was a kewl Idea I thought.

Robbarrie said:
Is it possible for us to see how it is hooked up. I can't see how you did it from the picture. I do have my ideas. If you wish to share a few more photos in closer detail, I for one would like to have a look. I have a problem with my fingers going numb. The odd time I just have to let it coast as I take my hand off the throttle. I know I may have to resort to this in my later years.....
I had all those pictures at one time while the mods were in progress but cleaned house a while back. There is little room to see in there and even less to work in. It is on the same principle as a cruise control, if you ever installed one. Bead chain for the new control which allows the original throttle to work as always.

Before I made this contraption (which I like the best) I had perhaps something similar to what Cowboy is referring to where I could work the throttle with my right knee. Not sure how that would work with the standard controls since I have forwards. But if interested and your knee or part of your leg falls between the lids on the carbs on the right side, where you would push in to give it gas. This is by far the simplest and easiest control that most can make themselves. if they felt like it with no worries of it hanging up. Let me know.

Since I put 1" Pro Grips over the stock grips, I don't seem to have that tingling sensation or even the need for the second throttle. Apparently the smaller grips had a tendency to cut off the blood circulation more. It's something to try out by wrapping the present grips to fatten them up a 1/4" on the diameter. Works great for me and I like how they feel.

Mike:

If you ever have the bike stripped down to the point you can take a couple of snap shots for me. I'd appreciate your efforts. I'm going to go with the suggestion firefly made to me. He was saying if you fill the bars with dried out sand, it take the vibes right out of the handles. I am going to fatten up the grips as well.
Thanks.

Robbarrie said:
Mike:

If you ever have the bike stripped down to the point you can take a couple of snap shots for me. I'd appreciate your efforts. I'm going to go with the suggestion firefly made to me. He was saying if you fill the bars with dried out sand, it take the vibes right out of the handles. I am going to fatten up the grips as well.
Thanks.
I put new sport bars on my 06 a little over a month ago. Before I put them on I packed it full of BB's. I didn't notice any difference at all in vibration dampening. I think that whole idea is a myth myself.
The bike does handle a lot easier with the wider bars. And I feel like I'm bear hugging my Max. LOL! But I like em... because they moved the mirrors out wider and now I can see past my shoulders more.
Besides... who doesn't like giving thier Max a big ol' bear hug! LOL!

Back