2nd to 3rd issue

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VmaXXX

Reaction score
The bike:
'09 w/25k miles
DD mod kit
Rash retainer & bolts
Nash flash
Fresh clutch fluid
Yamalube 10w40 dino oil
The issue:
Approx 70% of 2nd to 3rd gear shifts take 3-4 tries before clicking in. Seems slightly more likely during spirited acceleration but generally consistent across all speeds.
All other gears go in like butter with barely any clutch pull. Just wondering if anyone has experienced a similar issue with a gear and discovered what the problem was.

I've also noticed my bike (a 2009 w/22k miles) doesn't like to go into 3rd gear sometimes, but only when I'm accelerating hard. It hasn't become a huge hinderance for me yet though, so I haven't taken any steps to determine cause or address the issue yet.

Last edited:
Try to snap the gear in faster than your average. Faster movement in the foot, more aggressive. Normal clutch operation.

Gen2 is very different than other bikes i have/had. Gen2 like fast shifting, almost like shifting without using clutch. Higher revs = smoother shifts. If you always need 3-4 tries, then i think there is something wrong.

Back