85 regulator

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

josephjhaney

Supporting Member
Reaction score
8c7493413c5ef97ad286aa46ba0d2b26.jpg

I think that answers my charging question. New one (with the fins) ordered.

Joe

Sent from my C6725 using Tapatalk

Don't forget to get 2 longer allen bolts to go back through the newer style, finned R/R. Beotch to find that out at the last minute, and have to drop everything & run back to town for bolts....

Don't forget to get 2 longer allen bolts to go back through the newer style, finned R/R. Beotch to find that out at the last minute, and have to drop everything & run back to town for bolts....

Yeah, I'm going to just take the thing with me along with one of the original bolts right to Lowes when it shows up. Grab the bolts and then do the install.

Joe

Run the red and black wires directly to battery.. I would cut the 3 wire connector off the stator and new regulator and solder or posi-lock the 3 wires. That connector has melted on many bikes, it's only a matter of time, as corrosion gets in there.

The finned unit is still the old style shunt design, while it does work a lot better than the one on your 85, a MOSFET type unit would have been a better choice. I've been striving for a problem free charging system for 30 years and finally got it right with the MOSFET modification..

Run the red and black wires directly to battery.. I would cut the 3 wire connector off the stator and new regulator and solder or posi-lock the 3 wires. That connector has melted on many bikes, it's only a matter of time, as corrosion gets in there.

The finned unit is still the old style shunt design, while it does work a lot better than the one on your 85, a MOSFET type unit would have been a better choice. I've been striving for a problem free charging system for 30 years and finally got it right with the MOSFET modification..

I was just looking for plug and play for now, if I get my charging up over 14 I'll be pleased as punch, if I have any issues after this, I should see them since I have the little voltage meter right on the handlebars now.

Joe

+1 to all of Bill's suggestions. I'd like to suggest the crimp fix at the least, if you don't wire direct. It's quick and easy. The wiring on an 85 should be inspected for corrosion in the entire charging system. It's been around a while and is a cause of high resistance. Even with the crimp fix, my old wiring never let me get to 14 volts, close though. My new green Apex battery compensated for the hot start issue I was starting to have. Some new wiring is on my list for winter work.

+1 to all of Bill's suggestions. I'd like to suggest the crimp fix at the least, if you don't wire direct. It's quick and easy. The wiring on an 85 should be inspected for corrosion in the entire charging system. It's been around a while and is a cause of high resistance. Even with the crimp fix, my old wiring never let me get to 14 volts, close though. My new green Apex battery compensated for the hot start issue I was starting to have. Some new wiring is on my list for winter work.

Dielectric grease in all plugs works great to stop corrosion.

Got the new R/R, everything hooked up, started her up, bam, 13.6V, now it had been reading a volt low before, but either way, it's reading higher running then not. Off I'm getting 12.5 to 12.6 now, but I am running the Apex green battery, so it most likely is a bit higher at the battery for all readings (these are my little volt meter running off the tach circuit).

Now, I was only able to get one bolt the whole way in holding the R/R on the rear footpeg bracket, I took all the bolts out of that mother, but I just couldn't possibly get that damn thing off. Maybe at some point in the future I'll feel froggy and try it, but I'm just glad to be back on two wheels again!

Joe

Back