A little help, please?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maximum

Reaction score
I tried to install a Corbin seat today--figured it would take 15 minutes. It was 40 degrees, and I spent the hours I could have been riding throwing tools and yelling things gar-an-damned-teed to put me in Hell when I shoot though.

Corbin uses only two bolts to hold the seat on--they are to go in the holes for the two upper driver's seat bolts. The one on the right side lines up pretty as you please--the one on the left is too low. I can see about half the hole through the hole in the seat. You wouldn't think a lousey eigth inch would be a problem, but I bounced on the seat, even got my die grinder and shaved down the grommets on the bottom side of the seat. NOTHIN'. I also tried putting the left side in first, since the right fits fine. NOTHIN'.

I mean, the damned seat's on and it'll stay on with one bolt, but I'm somebody who likes things RIGHT.

If any of you have any suggestions, I'd appreciate your help. Man, what a frustrating damned afternoon.

If it's a new seat, take Lew's advice. If it's used, try to get the feeling just where it might be hitting by chalking the most probable spots to find THE high spot so you can judge the possibilities. If all else fails, a 8lbs hammer should provide the clearance you seek. Just kidding. If you could post a picture of said spot, more suggestions could be made of where to alter something.

Maximum said:
I tried to install a Corbin seat today--figured it would take 15 minutes. It was 40 degrees, and I spent the hours I could have been riding throwing tools and yelling things gar-an-damned-teed to put me in Hell when I shoot though.

Corbin uses only two bolts to hold the seat on--they are to go in the holes for the two upper driver's seat bolts. The one on the right side lines up pretty as you please--the one on the left is too low. I can see about half the hole through the hole in the seat. You wouldn't think a lousey eigth inch would be a problem, but I bounced on the seat, even got my die grinder and shaved down the grommets on the bottom side of the seat. NOTHIN'. I also tried putting the left side in first, since the right fits fine. NOTHIN'.

I mean, the damned seat's on and it'll stay on with one bolt, but I'm somebody who likes things RIGHT.

If any of you have any suggestions, I'd appreciate your help. Man, what a frustrating damned afternoon.
You're not the first person I've heard complain about their Corbin seat that won't line up. Most of them drilled the hole bigger, but I think Lew has the better idea and make Corbin fix it.

Thanks, guys. The problem, Lew, is I bought it off eBay. It's in beautiful shape, as nice as the stocker (new a few months ago) that I took off, but I doubt Corbin wants to hear about it if I'm not the original buyer.

I like the 8lb. hammer idea, Mike. And I nearly went with the idea of enlarging the hole, Buster, but I was gonna use my 44 magnum.

I sold a '64 El Camino to buy the Max, and last winter I rebuilt it's Muncie 4-speed in my garage. So yesterday I'm thinking, "I can't install a damned motorcycle seat?"
God, I was so mad--not angry--MAD. There is a difference.

Today, now that I'm cooled off, I'll go back out an "play" some more--probably do come grinding on the hole (now I'm talking dirty--sorry). It was just good to hear I'm not the only fool to have trouble, Buster.

Thanks all of you--

Chris.

Maximum said:
Thanks, guys. The problem, Lew, is I bought it off eBay. It's in beautiful shape, as nice as the stocker (new a few months ago) that I took off, but I doubt Corbin wants to hear about it if I'm not the original buyer.

I like the 8lb. hammer idea, Mike. And I nearly went with the idea of enlarging the hole, Buster, but I was gonna use my 44 magnum.

I sold a '64 El Camino to buy the Max, and last winter I rebuilt it's Muncie 4-speed in my garage. So yesterday I'm thinking, "I can't install a damned motorcycle seat?"
God, I was so mad--not angry--MAD. There is a difference.

Today, now that I'm cooled off, I'll go back out an "play" some more--probably do come grinding on the hole (now I'm talking dirty--sorry). It was just good to hear I'm not the only fool to have trouble, Buster.

Thanks all of you--

Chris.

Cool! I always liked the El Caminos! You might try some heat on the base of the seat, it might make it more pliable. I haven't tried this, so it is just a theory, if it is a bad theory, then someone please say so!

I also bought mine on Ebay and encountered the same problem. Left side lined up perfect while the right was out a hair. Drilled it out to fit the bolt. If you are ever at a rally that Corbin has a display at he will have one of his tech's fix it up. I have talked to John a few times and find him to be very sincere about his product. He agreed to replace the seat on my Wide Glide even though it was three years old.

Wow, Slide, that offer is unbelieveable. I'll keep it in mind, but if I can make it work myself, I'm going to. Nice to know I may have a backup plan if I need it, though.

Thanks for the heads-up.

Yeah, the Camino was nice--350 4-speed. Very light, so very fast. But, I don't look back. I love my Max.

Wow, both Holden and Falcon look sharp--sound like a ball to drive, but 50+ grand! Any idea what that would come out to in US dollarinies?

davidon said:
I've got a modified corbin and don't even use the bolts..why do you NEED to bolt it down?
Ahhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmm maybe he doesn't want someone to walk away with it? OK, I give up.

Maximum said:
Wow, both Holden and Falcon look sharp--sound like a ball to drive, but 50+ grand! Any idea what that would come out to in US dollarinies?

Probably close to $35k.
Mate of mine has the Holden and fuck me it's nice. Still slower than my Max though but only just.

Latest posts

Back