Alternative to the Shotgun??

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rock'n The Suburbs

Reaction score
Rather than performing the shotgun, could you not just pull off a gas line and run some seafoam through the line while the bike is running?
This would circulate through the whole carb - wouldn't it? :ummm:

Last edited by a moderator:
Rock'n the Suburbs

Just noticed your new to the forum and your in Barrie ! The only guy I know of who has a Vmax in Barrie is named Paul
That's not you is it Paul ?
Anyway...

I think the shotgun works so well because of the compressed air and the direct application of the air after the cleaner ( a few times ) - to the curcuit at the source of the problem when the carb is opened and exposed. However, could it make it worse, yes it could but in many cases unlikely, from what I have read.
It depends on how bad the clog/plug/dirt or build up of crap is !!! Just be prepared you may end up doing it anyways.

Shoot me a PM if you wanna hook up for help / talk / or a ride sometime.

Rob

Check your PM - I thought I'd make it ez-er to PM you first

My recommendation is to do BOTH the peashooter and the shotgun. Reason is that they both work as a stand alone, but each has its "weaknesses" that the other takes care of. For instance the shotgun can push material deeper into the idle circuit and not remove it, but the peashooter doesn't.......

I'm not knocking Seafoam - I know a lot of people swear by it - but I used it for 3 tankfuls with no success. Before pulling the carbs again, I tried Amzoil PI (performance improver) & within 50 miles my Max idled like a dream. Probably the number of miles accumulated was the acual reason for the improved idle, but it worked for me so I'm sticking with it. (No I'm NOT an Amzoil dealer...)

Seafoam does okay but agree it's not a cure-all. If you want the best stuff, get BG 44K. My God that's great stuff. But, it's expensive. Over $20 for a can that treats up to 20 gallons.

One more thing about the shotgun. It does pretty good but there increased chance of knocking the floats out of whack with too much air psi. I use 100-100 and haven't had a problem.

One other thing I've used as an alternative to the Pea-shooter. Chrysler dealers sell a product called " Combustion Chamber Conditioner ". It's a spray that turns into volumes of foam when it hits the carb & it will melt carbon & varnish & whatnot. I blast it into the jets at idle speed & then fill the whole carb to the top & then shut it off & let it soak for a while. Works pretty well. Probably the only good thing that ever came from a Chrysler dealership. ( sorry Mopar fans ):biglaugh: Be sure you only do 1 carb at a time or you'll have a bitch of a time starting your bike to clear it out.

Back