Another damn thing wrong

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abbaisdad

Reaction score
Another thing wrong

Went to take her out for a ride.Started her up and let her idle for about one minute and she died?:confused2: Won't start now. The pump stays on for about 5-7 sec. even after cycling the key about 10 times. Took air filter cover off and swirted gas in all 4 carbs and she starts and stall out again. Looked at fuel filter, very little fuel in it. Disconneted fuel filter and blew into tank ,not pluged. Swirted gas in and filled the filter and proped it up so gravity is going to the pump.Cycled the key and the pump did the same thing as before. Swirted gas in the carbs again, started and died.Did this 3-4 times.Each time I turn the key the pump would do the usual thing but no gas was being sucked from the fuel filter.I'm really getting frustraded with this bike.Even my old 82 seca 550 starts right up.I would just like O N E D A Y of riding it with out problems. Please help!!!:ummm:
FRED

Last edited:
Have you tried bypassing the fuel filter?

Check your fuel tank vent and tip over valve too.

Take fuel pump input hose and dip that into external tank with gas. Remove output hose from carb rack and point into your external tank to make sure it pumps when you turn the key.

Ok Mark I will try that.So what you are saying is that the pump might make sound but not pump correct?If so is there a way to unclog it?
FRED

Fred, correct. Just because it clicks doesn't mean it's pumping. I believe there are 1 or 2 rubber diaphragms inside the fuel pump. If they are worn or torn then the fuel pump will fail to pump fuel. It's rare but does happen occasionally. They don't sell the pump innards individually. You would need a new fuel pump if that is the problem. Sean Morley or John Furbur may have spares though.

One more thing. How much gas is in your tank? Is it possible you're into reserve? Is your low fuel light on at all?

You could try using an external tank and gravity feeding directly to the carbs.

Mark just took off the pump and it is working perfectly.The previous owner said it did this to him awhile ago but then cleared up. I loosened the carb bowl screws and gas did come out.I blew into the tank vent and it is clear.After the gas leaves the pump and goes into the rail does it have to go into the needles next or what is it's next step.Should I blow air into the rail.I think I might have to bring it to the butcher shop and pray I get a good mechanic.I don't know man,It's midnight i'm full of gas and pissed off!!!!
FRED

Mark just took off the pump and it is working perfectly.The previous owner said it did this to him awhile ago but then cleared up. I loosened the carb bowl screws and gas did come out.I blew into the tank vent and it is clear.After the gas leaves the pump and goes into the rail does it have to go into the needles next or what is it's next step.Should I blow air into the rail.I think I might have to bring it to the butcher shop and pray I get a good mechanic.I don't know man,It's midnight i'm full of gas and pissed off!!!!
FRED

How much gas came out of each carb bowl? Take fuel filter off and cut apart to check what it looks like, check inside tank for rust.

When's the last time you filled it up with gas?

Mike

Mike this is my 2nd full tank with seafoam.Before it would start right up. I would have to keep the choke on so it wouldn't stall but it seamed to be getting better.The fuel filter is new and yes there is some rust in the tank.Now this!!!This bike is like a beautiful woman WITH AIDS!!! :barf:I'm going to take a shower and get some of this gas off of me and go to bed .If you guys can think of what else to do I will be more than happy to try it tomorrow.THANKS FRED

Hello,

If you have tried with full fuel tank, the pump operation could be confirmed by releasing the pump outlet hose from the carbs and leading it into some container where you can fill the fuel coming from the pump. Then switch the ignition on to see the pump operation. Could repeat this test a couple of times.

Could also renew the hoses from the tank until the carbs and change new fuel filter. Very cheap and then you know it's ok. There is one very tight curve in the hose near the fuel filter. Better to check that as it could prevent fuel from flowing freely.

If everything done, better to clean the carbs to make sure there is no problems there. Check also possible air leaks in connections between the inlet manifolds, carbs, v-boost, air box, sync pipe joints and fuel hoses.

Oh yeah, and one more thing. Better to take multimeter and measure both the ignition pick-up coil resistances (see http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=3876) and ignition HT coils, primary and secondary sides. HT coil primary side should be approximately 2.4-3 ohms and secondary side about 10.5-15.8 kilo ohms.

If there is problem in some of these, it can also have symptoms that sound somewhat like that.

Nice wright up AKATORA on the pick up coils.:clapping:My problem seems to be at the carbs.Pump works great,fuel filter new and not cloged (I have the see through one, no debris in it.) Gas is just not getting to the carbs.Well there is gas at the bowl as I said before. I guess I have to take the air box off to get to the fuel rail.I heard there some hose thats a pain to put back on after so tryed to get around doing that.Do you guys think the pea shooter or shotgun would help.When doing the peashooter,after drilling out the brass plug do I have to purchase another one and put it back?
FRED

im kinda new to the vmax stuff,but been working on crap m whole life.sounds like the carbs should come off.i have done it several times trying to get this bike right,and its not that bad[after 200 times,lol]pull them apart from side to side,i keep the pair together,and pull the float bowls.this will tell you all about how much debris is in the carb,and jets.anyway i would completely clean all of the carb,if anything is found.not hard,just do one at a time.carefully pull all the secondary fuel lines off too and clean.sounds like you have a plugged jet? also be careful off the float levels.adjust properly.if you ruled out the pump and filter,pull the carbs,you said you had rust in the tank right? good luck,oh i know all about the "midnight and smelling like gas thing",lol.:clapping:

Thanks IMFIXINMOPARS.That is what I was afraid of.Is there anything I can do to just get it running so I can bring it to the butcher shop?My friend that has a Verago suggested I bite the bullet and bring it in.He works on all 4 of his bikes but told me the Vmax is really tough.His 3 other bikes are HD.I don't want to wimp out but might have to.I ordered the clymer yesterday lets see how tough it really is.Maybe he is just to busy and can't help me out.
FRED

Looks to me as if it's an open and shut case of BAD FUEL PUMP. If you removed the filter and it had very little gas in it, and you are SURE you have gas in the tank, then the pump is fooling you into believing it is pumping when it is not. Open any one carb drain screw, turn key on, and watch for plenty of fuel to begin coming out. The pump should begin clicking and fuel should be coming out in good quantity and non stop. If you have an OEM white plastic filter like all mine have been, you should be able to see fuel activity passing through it while you hear that pump clicking.

I had a pump that went to clicking almost continuously one time, and it proved to be the tiny rubber valve on the output side had come loose from its seat. I was able to return it by pushing it gently with the tip of a small screwdriver. There are two tiny rubber valves in that pump. One on the inlet side and another on the output side. If both valves are bad, or misplaced by whatever, the pump will attempt to pump, but no pressure will build and not enough gas will arrive at the carbs.

Maybe you could 'borrow' a working pump and swap them out for a trial. ??

Good luck.

Well jfeagens what I did was to disconnect the pump from the inlet and outlet hoses.Pulled the pump then I pulled the inlet hose out from where it is tucked under the faux tank lock and reconneted it to the pump (this is the hose from the tank and fuel filter). I was able to position the pump so that the outlet would piss into an external container I provided.Turned the key on and it worked great. I think there is something cloged in my fuel rail or carbs:bang head:.The funny thing is why would it affect all 4 carbs if it is the carbs.I understand if it is the rail but not the carbs.Hope someone out there can figure this out.
FRED

Pumping without any outlet connections is one thing. Pumping up to pressure is another. Pump may still not be building pressure. If it doesn't, well, you ain't going to get enough fuel to remain running.

Another thing, did you mention if you could blow through that fuel filter? Once you drain all the gas out of it, you should be able to blow through with very little effort. Lots of effort = clogged filter.

If you already have that pump off, go ahead and disassemble it and inspect the inlet and outlet pressure valves. You should be able to verify the little rubber valves are located correctly and working properly before reassembly and reinstallation.

good luck

:confused2:

Well got her STARTED it was the needle valves on all 4 carbs stuck!!!:punk::punk::punk::punk::punk::punk::punk::punk:

im kinda new to the vmax stuff,but been working on crap m whole life.sounds like the carbs should come off.i have done it several times trying to get this bike right,and its not that bad[after 200 times,lol]pull them apart from side to side,i keep the pair together,and pull the float bowls.this will tell you all about how much debris is in the carb,and jets.anyway i would completely clean all of the carb,if anything is found.not hard,just do one at a time.carefully pull all the secondary fuel lines off too and clean.sounds like you have a plugged jet? also be careful off the float levels.adjust properly.if you ruled out the pump and filter,pull the carbs,you said you had rust in the tank right? good luck,oh i know all about the "midnight and smelling like gas thing",lol.:clapping:

Lets give credit where credit is due. Good call imfixinmopars I just read this thread and you def. narrowed it down to the carbs. It sounded to me that it was a clogged jet too as I read along. Since you had fuel in the bowls as you said the fuel must have been leaking in there slowly thru the needle valve but too slow to keep the float level high enough to be sucked up. Glad you got it figured out :bang head::clapping:

I believe he did NOT have fuel in the bowls (at least when I talked to him about it he didn't.)

Maybe he can give the credit where it's due. What say you Abbaisdad? The tips from here, the call to me, or a little/lot of both?

Sean

Let me tell you guys something. YOU GUYS ARE ALL GREAT!!!!! I was all set in spending $500.00 plus dollars on a carb cleaning. Sean I know you are sick of me but bro I love you. The '' MOST BOTHERED AWARD'' goes to Sean (one2dmax). He also gets the ''MOST CONFIDANCE AWARD" because he kept telling me it was not to bad to do contrary to everyone here in Miami telling me it was a nightmare. The ''HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD AWARD'' must go to Mark (maleko89). From the very first thread I posted which was ONE CARB ACTING FUNNY Mark told me the carbs were 10yrs. old and to go through them. I admit I was scarred to but thanks to God and all you guys, especially Sean, I DID IT!!!! It wasn't bad at all!! Just for any knucle head out there like me: DON'T SWIRT SEAFOAM DIRECTLY INTO YOUR FUEL RAIL AND LET IT SIT. That I believe was the nail in the coffen for all four float needle valves to get stuck. Thank God it didn't ruin the cones on the needle valves. THANKS TO ALL OF YOU AGAIN. NOW I CAN GO RIDE ''YES''!!!!! :punk::worthy::clapping::eusa_dance::biglaugh:
Fred

Last edited:
Back