another new guy

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hanker71

Reaction score
hey fellas,im john...and im a mc addict!!..i currently have a 15 ktm 500 exc and just acquired a 95 vmax yesterday!!im super pumped!ive always wanted a vmax since high school when my buddy and i were cruising the town on his new zl900 and got smoked by a 85!...anyway,the bike i got is pretty nice.it has 15k miles and came with a gps,cover,full shop manual and a jet kit.the bike has supertrapp slip ons and sounds incredible!..im wondering however if maybe she dosnt need some carb work though.i drained the 7 month old gaS out and put in fresh and gave it a oil change.it seems pretty zippy,but not like i think it should be?..i can feel the boost however sometimes it feels REALLY right,like maybe all the carbs arent totally opening right?for reference,so far i did 45 in first gear then 2nd to 85.does that sound right?the guy i bought it from told me the slip ons came with jets,but he never put them in.he also gave me a carb sync tool,new(unused()...any advice on what i should do first.thanks in advance.also,it gets a kinda weird head shake at 45 on decel,it looks like the front tire isnt seated to the rim totally round.

hey fellas,im john...and im a mc addict!!..i currently have a 15 ktm 500 exc and just acquired a 95 vmax yesterday!!im super pumped!ive always wanted a vmax since high school when my buddy and i were cruising the town on his new zl900 and got smoked by a 85!...anyway,the bike i got is pretty nice.it has 15k miles and came with a gps,cover,full shop manual and a jet kit.the bike has supertrapp slip ons and sounds incredible!..im wondering however if maybe she dosnt need some carb work though.i drained the 7 month old gaS out and put in fresh and gave it a oil change.it seems pretty zippy,but not like i think it should be?..i can feel the boost however sometimes it feels REALLY right,like maybe all the carbs arent totally opening right?for reference,so far i did 45 in first gear then 2nd to 85.does that sound right?the guy i bought it from told me the slip ons came with jets,but he never put them in.he also gave me a carb sync tool,new(unused()...any advice on what i should do first.thanks in advance.also,it gets a kinda weird head shake at 45 on decel,it looks like the front tire isnt seated to the rim totally round.
Welcome to the forum hanker71-check that manual on how to take that front wheel off and get it check out 1st. Any idea where the jet came from? Stage 1 dynajet?
Try a shotgun technique first to clean the carbs (below).
There is also below showing Sean's video on steering head bearings.

http://vmax.lvlhead.com/tips/shotgun.htm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW-CmACI5xQ

Worn tires seem to affect VMaxes more than other bikes. Change the tires if they are more than a couple years old, or show signs of wear, especially cupping on the front. It's usual for the left side of a bike front tire to wear more than the right.

About the tire maybe not being seated: Look at the tire molding bands and see if the bands are concentric and the same distance away from the rim circumference on both sides.

You should change the fork oil and set the steering head bearings' for correct tension. You have air forks, try 10-15 psi in them and that should help to firm-up the handling.

Have you read the post thread here? It's got lots of info for guys new to the VMax: http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=21240 This is a good place to become familiar w/your new obsession.

After you get used to what you have, consider a new rear wheel, and switch to radials. You can use your OEM front wheel to fit a narrow 18" radial, but you need something like this to run a rear radial. (attachment) This is an 18" X 5-1/2" wheel direct replacement for your rear wheel, not cheap. It will be closest to the height of your stock 15" wheel, much-taller than the 17" wheel I can also get, which allows you a larger number of tire choices because of the tire using the sportbike 17" tire/wheel size.

Attachments

• 18 inch 5-one-half W VMax wheel.01.JPG
    18 inch 5-one-half W VMax wheel.01.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 18 X 5.5 inch wheel 003.jpg
    18 X 5.5 inch wheel 003.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 18 X 5.5 inch wheel 002.jpg
    18 X 5.5 inch wheel 002.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 9
thanks for the quick reply!!i will do the shot gun clean out!..im pretty familiar with non cv carbs and feel like the low speed circuit is probably ok because it responds like it should to choke on/choke off.is there something in there that could make those slide diaphrams hang up?also,what is the vboost actually doing?is it just opening up the butterfly all the way?the jets are from morley muscle.the are mikuni 147.5 from what i can see.im gonna do the stearing bearing check tommorow for sure,that seems like a likely culprit.

thanks for the quick reply!!i will do the shot gun clean out!..im pretty familiar with non cv carbs and feel like the low speed circuit is probably ok because it responds like it should to choke on/choke off.is there something in there that could make those slide diaphrams hang up?also,what is the vboost actually doing?is it just opening up the butterfly all the way?the jets are from morley muscle.the are mikuni 147.5 from what i can see.im gonna do the stearing bearing check tommorow for sure,that seems like a likely culprit.

In short the vboost is a manifold under the carbs that are electronically activated(opening a separate set of butterflies)around 6000+ rpm that run 2 carbs per cylinder. These are cv carbs by the way. You can wd-40 the slide diaphragms to keep from sticking.

sorry,i meant to say "not" familiar with cv carbs.i had a set on a older maxima that gave me fits,so i ended up taking them to the stealer for repair.

Hey Hanker71,
Welcome to the forum. You will really enjoy the bike as you filter thru the few issues and get the bugs worked out. This forum has helped me to understand just how the Vmax beast ticks and a great bunch of knowledgeable folks that are always willing to help. I feel fortunate to have this forum available and hope that I can be available to give my support where it is needed.
Post us some pics of the new ride when you get a chance. Have a great night!

Worn tires seem to affect VMaxes more than other bikes. Change the tires if they are more than a couple years old, or show signs of wear, especially cupping on the front. It's usual for the left side of a bike front tire to wear more than the right.

About the tire maybe not being seated: Look at the tire molding bands and see if the bands are concentric and the same distance away from the rim circumference on both sides.

You should change the fork oil and set the steering head bearings' for correct tension. You have air forks, try 10-15 psi in them and that should help to firm-up the handling.

Have you read the post thread here? It's got lots of info for guys new to the VMax: http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=21240 This is a good place to become familiar w/your new obsession.

After you get used to what you have, consider a new rear wheel, and switch to radials. You can use your OEM front wheel to fit a narrow 18" radial, but you need something like this to run a rear radial. (attachment) This is an 18" X 5-1/2" wheel direct replacement for your rear wheel, not cheap. It will be closest to the height of your stock 15" wheel, much-taller than the 17" wheel I can also get, which allows you a larger number of tire choices because of the tire using the sportbike 17" tire/wheel size.
wow,more good info!!thanks...the previous owner stated these tires have around 1500 miles on them.the look ok,however im more used to looking at knobbies...lol

well,i took your guys advice and tightened the stem bearing.it fixed the front issue!!then i put some magic liquid in the fuel...its called quick clean and made by mercury marine.my son is a boat mechanic and swears by it...Anway,after about 70 miles the bike came to life!!!whoa..its got some serious charge to it!!so fun!!now i just need to get a small bag on the back and maybe a radio somehow.im not surprised by how it goes though,ive never owned anything that yamaha has made that has been a turd..lol

Latest posts

Back