Anybody also have a dual sport?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It’s honestly both. The 950 LC8 motor puts out around 100hp from the factory. I’m putting mine somewhere between 115-120 with the pipes, jets, Rottweiler intake and tune. The 0-100 is insane on a bike like this. The actual size of it is somewhat of an issue for most people though. If your not over 6’ tall, don’t buy one. I’m 6’4” with a 34” inseam and I if I flat foot one side, I can’t touch the ground on the other. With both feet down and I’m on my toes.

I’m pretty sure the locked a bunch of Austrian engineers in a room with a bag of coke and a case of whiskey and said “don’t come out until you build a Dakar winner”. It’s nuts that they even sold a bike like this to the public. I’m not complaining, mind you, just sayin.
Sounds like something I would enjoy. I looked at the Africa twin Honda and have not had the chance to ride one unsure if it's for me. The height won't bother me since I'm a little taller than you. The power you describe sounds like what I'm looking for. I did a quick search and didn't see any advertised so I might need some pointers on how you did the google alert but don't think I'll be lucky to find something 20 miles away like you did. Good score!

Last edited:
It took me a couple of years to find one. As far as I know, there were only a few thousand produced worldwide during 07-08 because it had to be a production bike to qualify for Dakar, if memory serves. I entered a few keywords for the google alert and I would see on average one every month to month and a half come up for sale nation wide. I wanted one that didn’t have a lot of aftermarket parts or pieces from other KTM bikes like huge tanks or front fairings. The guy I got mine from had almost all of the body panels remade in carbon fiber as well as custom carbon fiber exhausts. I also got the factory panels with it.

If you’re bigger than me and are in the market for the most powerful dual sport out there, I can’t recommend it enough. The only issue I had with mine was that the factory suspension is a bit lacking for hard off road. Ohlins makes a superb setup for this if you’re willing to spend the money. I routinely take flight with mine and am very confident in its ability to handle it.

I've had a DR650 and a DRZ400E. I currently have an 07 650 Vstrom I use. All good bikes.

The KTM Super Adventure R 1290 has caught my eye. But there is a 1090 for sale very close. Anyone have any experience with these bikes?

Attachments

• 70385337_10156722037565885_2736523384555831296_n[1].png
    70385337_10156722037565885_2736523384555831296_n[1].png
    734.4 KB · Views: 4
They are both awesome bikes. The 1090 has less of the rider helping technology and a little less power. One thing to be VERY careful of is KTM has the shittiest air filtration setup on a motorcycle. Dust gets past air filter and eats up top end of engine. No recall on it as far as I know. Crazy they let that KNOWINGLY happen for years and did nothing about it. One of the coolest motorcycles ever made is very flawed right from the factory.

They are both awesome bikes. The 1090 has less of the rider helping technology and a little less power. One thing to be VERY careful of is KTM has the shittiest air filtration setup on a motorcycle. Dust gets past air filter and eats up top end of engine. No recall on it as far as I know. Crazy they let that KNOWINGLY happen for years and did nothing about it. One of the coolest motorcycles ever made is very flawed right from the factory.
Good info about the air filters. I did a little reading on a KTM forum and a feller was talking about his motor being ruined because of this very problem. If I buy one I will have to find a better option since it will be in the dust. Thanks for the reply!

I've got an 07 klr650(my 4th or 5th) and a '17 CRF250L (ridiculously slow, never wouldve bought if it wasnt such a steel). Klr is stock besides slipon and has 78k miles! Crf has 1500 miles and I've done almost everything to improve the power; 2mm overbore, ported head, yosh full race system, EJK fuel programmer, and on and on...Still slow. Lol And for sale!

I've had a XL600R, XR650L, DR650, but now have a Ducati Scrambler (Full Throttle edition), and love it.
Since my back has gotten worse throughout the years, I can't do the rough off-road, but I still like the gravel & "fire roads". I like this Scrambler also because I only have a 28", and it is not nearly as tall as the true dual sports, and seat & ride is much more comfortable. But, out of my true dual sports, the DR650 was the best to me. Simple air cooled, can be factory lowered, very dependable & simple to work on if needed. No radiator to puncture, no water pump to go out.
But, for commuting in town, Scrambler is great, can touch flat-footed at redlights, 72hp stock, air cooled Monster 800 Desmo motor in a Scrambler.
IMG_20190803_073829.jpg

I've had a XL600R, XR650L, DR650, but now have a Ducati Scrambler (Full Throttle edition), and love it.
Since my back has gotten worse throughout the years, I can't do the rough off-road, but I still like the gravel & "fire roads". I like this Scrambler also because I only have a 28", and it is not nearly as tall as the true dual sports, and seat & ride is much more comfortable. But, out of my true dual sports, the DR650 was the best to me. Simple air cooled, can be factory lowered, very dependable & simple to work on if needed. No radiator to puncture, no water pump to go out.
But, for commuting in town, Scrambler is great, can touch flat-footed at redlights, 72hp stock, air cooled Monster 800 Desmo motor in a Scrambler.
View attachment 70304
How bad is the routine maintenance on the Ducati? Valve adjustments/ intervals, etc? Iv never owned one or known anybody who has. That is a good looking bike though. The ducati... How are they offroad?

Last edited:
How bad is the routine maintenance on the Ducati? Valve adjustments/ intervals, etc? Iv never owned one or known anybody who has. That is a good looking bike though. The ducati... How are they offroad?

Being a Desmo, it does require a tighter maintenance schedule. I bought a Warranty/Service Plan with the bike, so the dealer does all the maintenance.
As far as off-road, not sure yet. My back has been bothering me this past year, plus I just haven't had time to take it off-road. I have had it on gravel roads though, and it does great on gravel. My XR & DR always felt like the front end was going to wash-out on loose gravel, but the Duc feels much more stable.

P.S. The Ducati Scrambler "Desert Sled" version is more off-road oriented, but, is 1.1" taller, which killed it for me. This is what I originally wanted, but just a tad too tall for me.
JL59622.jpg

MC81249.jpg

Back