Anyone have left over stock seat vinyl?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Remeber Me

Reaction score
Anyone have leftover stock seat vinyl?

I want to try a custom seat design but need a little more stock vinyl to pull it off. I don't think the stock vinyl can be bought anywhere, right? If not, anyone have their original cover leftover after having their seat modded (front or back portion should do).

Re: Anyone have leftover stock seat vinyl?

What year vinyl? There is a difference.

Sean

I've got the Vinyl left over for the front section section the VmaxIND gave me from the Karma contest. I have no idea what year it is but it's the grey color if that helps identify it.

Let me know if you want it and I'll mail it to you for free...

Rusty

It is a '99 and looks a little grey. Here is a Photoshop image of what I am shooting for. Is it the same as yours Rusty?

I think I need a little more vinyl for the top front part by the air cover. The back won't be as dramatic a wedge shape so it should stay down without a seam there like all the aftermarket designs if not I might have to resort to spray on glue. I have no idea how it will feel. I might try cutting it myself with an electric knife because I heard a hot wire might not work (too sticky). I usually get things right the first time so I hopefully won't need an extra foam core.

Attachments

• Wishlist Max4.jpg
    Wishlist Max4.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 32
The skin I have is grey as grey can be, no mistaking it for black.

Your welcome to it, let me know and I'll dig through my pile of leftovers and see if I can find it.

Rusty

I've got plenty I keep to resell. I promise it won't hurt your checkbook.

Sean

Here's a tip.

If you want to get that vinyl black, then do what the leather dyers do and use shoe dye.

It's not polish. It's an alcohol based liquid dye.

My seat was originally two tone i.e. black with grey (gay) . It looked so bad I had to change it.

So, off to the shoe repairers and got some leather dye. Being alcohol based it sinks right into the vinyl. Buff the excess off and you're done.

It also works great on faded rubber and covers scuffs on your riding boots, leather jacket etc.

Cheap and very efficient. I've been using it for 30 years.

Last edited:
Hey Gleno - I got the two tone gray and black on my bike. I wouldn't call it gay....:hmmm:

But I figured I was stuck with it. Thanks for the tip. I just might have to color it so it doesn't look so GAY !

:biglaugh:

Hey Gleno - I got the two tone gray and black on my bike. I wouldn't call it gay....:hmmm:

But I figured I was stuck with it. Thanks for the tip. I just might have to color it so it doesn't look so GAY !

:biglaugh:

I don't mean Gay as in homosexual.

I mean gay as in Gay Paris - more about art than machismo.

Two tone seats just don't do it for me.

I like a bold unambivalent colour statement on bikes saddle.

Anyway, glad you liked the tip.

Gleno - You do know I was just mess'n with ya ?
I just couldn't help myself....and yes the tip is a good one. I wouldn't have thought that you can do that.

Can this process can be done at home, nothing special needed or required to do a proper job ? Any idea on the cost involved ?

There are no special skills required to stain the vinyl as I've described. You just dab it on with the applicator that is normally in the bottle (or use a cotton swab) . Wearing a rubber glove is a good idea because it will stain your figures.

The product is alcohol based so it dries quickly.

Just make sure you thoroughly buff off the excess after it dries. Use a clean cotton cloth for this.

BTW I figured your were pulling my leg but its so easy to offend people in a text forum I just thought I'd carify the 'gay' reference.

I've got the Vinyl left over for the front section section the VmaxIND gave me from the Karma contest. I have no idea what year it is but it's the grey color if that helps identify it.

Let me know if you want it and I'll mail it to you for free...

Rusty

It was off of my 1999.

Found out that Sean can shape seat foam and re-cover using original vinyl so I'll let him do it.

Back