Are you a new member? Come here and say hi!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
welcome maverick! u sell the bars and backrest? both of those are worth some $$

there's a buy sell section here. take a look at completed listings on ebay. used engine guards are probably worth 50 - 75 depending on condition and that backrest is considerably more!

:banana:Hi people,
:biglaugh: Just thought I"d say hello from Sydney Australia, The Country with very few Vmaxes , I ride alot with large motor motorcycle groups , also do alot of charity rides and am yet to see another Gen 1 VMax in Sydney other than myself and a mate..Good work for the info on this site , Cheers and ride safe.....

Bought my first road bike last month and it is a 2000 Vmax Carbon fiber look and it is a great bike and I look forward to learning all I can from each of you that know a whole lot more about them than I do. I will be asking for advice form time to time when it comes to maintenance and functions. Thanks and I look forward to many good rides on an extremely exciting bike.

YES! So kick ass, and welcome.

So nice to have a local (45min) join I will get ahold of you soon.

Hello all

VERY proud new owner of an '85 max here - been looking at these beasts for 4/5 years and I'm still trying to figure out how to get it into my room so I can sleep with it. Coolest thing about it - the wife bought it for me!!!

Anyway, I got some more poking around the forums to do.

New memeber here! Had a 89 Vmax several years ago. Kept it for 3 years. Been missing it since then. Finally bought a 95 Vmax three weeks ago. Good to be riding one again. Also been riding a FJR1300 for the last 5 years. I know how valuable my FJR forum is. I'm sure this one will be also. Just been wandering around it trying to figure out things like posting pictures and finding how things work. Also curious as to why a moderator has to screen my posts for a day or two before they are finally posted. :ummm:

GP:moped:

Hello everyone. I've wanted a VMax since High School (late 80's) & finally bought one. 1985 w/39,000 on it. Mechanicaly sound & runs well with the Kerker 4-2-1 exhaust & stage 3 jet kit.

Not as mush top end as I expected but I've been on liter bikes for 15 years. I'm going to have the carbs sync'd by a local VMax expert/owner who worked for Yamaha 'til he opened his own shop.

Overall I'm very happy with it although the steering is sluggish. I'll raise the rear 1/2" or drop the front to help out there.

Thanks for taking me in everyone!

RR

I signed up a couple months ago but didn't get involved w/ the site until now. Too many thing happening all at once! So technically I'm a newbie since this is my very first post. I've had my V-max for 8 months now and it has been an experience to say the least :) My bike is only 2 yrs younger than me and only had 14,000 miles on it. She looked to be in great condition and couldn't wait to make her mine. Not long after I had Maxine (I know not a very creative name lol) she started having issues one after the other. I will say I learned very quickly the parts on my bike haha! I don't know much about working on bikes but I'm learning. I've had to replace SEVERAL parts on her cuz everything was original and parts that are 23 yrs old tend to turn to dust :biglaugh: I am very happy to be a V-max owner because they are very unique and a very beautiful bike. The only sad thing is I haven't seen any other V-max owners here in Kansas City area. I would love to ride with other V-max riders and to see what they've done to their toys. Oh quick question...I've seen all the post here are men, are there any other V-max woman riders out there besides me?!?!:ummm:

Oh quick question...I've seen all the post here are men, are there any other V-max woman riders out there besides me?!?!:ummm:
Yes! Coffee Break is a woman rider!

And welcome to the best Vmax site on the planet - bar none :eusa_dance::clapping:

Don't have a V-Max yet but one is next on my list. Was planning on building a V-Twin around a 127 CI Ultima Motor since prices have gotten more "resonable" as of late. But seeing I can get me a complete V-Max for the price of an ultima drive train I've changed my mind. I look forward to experieceing the awesome power, speed and smoothness of a V-Max. I'm sure I'll be asking alot of questions in the near future. The link below will show some of my rides of the past and the progress of my current 79 XS750 chopper. I also have a 81 XS750 I'm building into a trike currently. Ride safe!

http://community.webshots.com/user/mo650chopper

Hi to all fellow Max riders and all other types of bikes as well,
I have just joined and it has taken me nearly a day to look through this site,so much to read wow..

Anyway a little about me..i live in the Philippines (iam from scotland) lived here for 4 years totally awesome roads and views great all year riding here,(have posted a few pics of my max etc)i ride a Vmax 1996 model fairly standard (frightning sometimes) currently changing rear end to a Hayabusa 17" with engineered swingarm to fit,front end will have yamaha R1 3" extended USD with beefer brakes,etc etc,braided hoses all round including throttle/speedo,will post pictures once completed-step by step,i also have a 1100 honda shadow chop,

Hoping to use this site to meet new friends and gain lots of info on the Vmax which totaly rocks my world everytime i ride it.

Vmax RULES,
Thanks,
George- geomax

Introduction

Hello. I recently bought a 2005 Anniversary edition VMAX (after a bit of searching locally.) I have been visiting the board for around a week now, scanning information and such, but I figured I might as well introduce myself. I don't intend to do a whole lot of modifications to my VMax until it is paid off, but I'm always interested in what's available.

My previous ride was a 1980 XJ650, so we've moved up in the world - substantially (If I had a nickel for everytime a wrench bounced off a random object after being thrown in the garage, the VMax would have been bought outright). Couldn't be happier with the Max, so I intend to stick with it as long as it will allow.

I like the setup of the forum, and appreciate the knowledge being available!

Hello Max-ers,
I am a noob. I have had my 2000 Carbon Fiber Max Since 2003. Bought it used with only 2k miles on it.
Sorely negelected the maintanance on her and now I am down. I just did the Big Sears Die Hard battery install thanks to info gleaned from here. I must say I did have to chop my battery box to make it fit. Happy Safe riding.

Welcome to all you new members! Check out this site it is the best, and if you have any question just ask - someone here will have the answer :)

Also if you need Yamaha parts, call Gary McCoy at Mondak Motorsports - he gives us vmaxforum users a great discount.

Hello fellow Max riders.....I'm the "newest" n00b.

My name is Tim and I just picked up my '06 Max last Fri. So, I am not only a n00b to the site, but to the bike, as well, but I can already tell I am going to be liking this place (already got help on how to get the bike on the centerstand). :biglaugh:

Like I said, just picked up my Max last Fri. Picked it up for $8k out the door...which isn't a bad price, but not a good one either....unless you consider the stuff it came with. It already had the engine guards, sport shield, frame braces, and a few other items that I am still finding as I work over the bike (just found that the previous owner installed a K&N air filter, about an hour ago). Also has a nice lil airbrush job on the lid that can be ....let's say...distracting, at times ;) :eusa_dance:

Whoever the previous owner was, they appeared to have invested a decent amount into the bike for only putting 3600 miles on her. However, being the forks were dropped some, I am assuming it may have been a little tall for them...their loss, my gain... W00t!:punk:

I also own a '99 Royal Star Venture....as a kamikaze of sorts, it was my first bike. And what can I say, I love this V4....and it is still the bike of choice for long rides....for now.

Anywayz...just wanted to introduce myself. See you around the boards...

Allow me to introduce myself...

Well, figured I might as well start off here with an introduction. I just picked up a '97 Max off ebay. 13k miles, and meticulously cared for. Not a scratch, ding, or dent anywhere on it. The P/O practically had a bike museum in his house, restored bikes of all makes and years and really seemed to know his stuff. Normally buying something used with modifications makes me a little nervous because I'm never sure if they did things right and I'll have problems down the road, but I felt more than confident in this guy's skill so I went for it.

Holeshot slip-ons
Dynojet stage 1 w/ K&N filter
Frame braces
candy apple red powdercoated wheels
R1 discs/calipers/cylinder
Stainless brake/clutch hoses
Progressive fork springs
Billet fork brace
Python wider handlebars
Venture pumpkin(included original)
T-boost switch
Fan switch and aluminum fan blade
Crash bars/highway pegs
FIAMM horns
Factory backrest/luggage rack
Odyssey battery(I did the "crimp fix" shortly after I bought it, raised voltage about .8 volts)
Custom blinkers, UFO's LED tail light
Shift light set to 9200 RPM

Dyno'd at 117 at the rear wheel

Baisically, it's all the stuff I would have put on a stock one. This is the first bike I've owned that would be worth customizing(I'd been dreaming about getting a Max for a couple years now), and I had a laundry list similar to the one above of stuff I wanted to do. Before this I rode a '85 Magna V30(same engine as the short lived "baby Interceptor"), and before that my starter bike was a '82 GS450A- the two-speed semi-automatic. I did about 20k miles between those two, but while the 500cc Magna was very quick for what it was, I got tired of wringing it's neck to pass, and I'll admit it's 115mph top speed just didn't excite me. I figured if I was going to upgrade, I might as well go right to the top(sportbikes don't interest me, I like to cruise...usually).

And the Max lived up to everything I had dreamed about. I can't believe it doesn't break the rear tire loose when the boost hits, it hooks up and just goes straight forward at warp speed. For a few days after I picked up the bike, I left the boost switch off until I got the feel for the bike. I thought the acceleration was blistering, unbelieveable, exhilarating. Then I set the switch to the standard 6000, and hit it off a red light. The first thing that popped into my head when I felt the boost open was "warp drive". Amazing, and I was instantly hooked on this bike. Riding is so effortless. Just the slightest roll on the gas and off you go.

Oddly enough, I still get pretty good mileage. My Magna averaged about 45 highway(because it spun at 6800RPM at 80mph), I saw as good as 55 on back roads. The Max gets 41-42 routinely on 75mph highway cruising, boost set at 6k. I've been running regular 87. I tried one tank of 93, noticed no difference, so I went back to regular. P/O said it had been run on Mobil 1 4T bike oil since it was new, so I guess I'll continue using that if that's what it was broken in with.

Well, this forum's search has already answered most of my questions, already useful and I've had the bike for 2 weeks.

I'm in Schroon Lake NY but I ride to the Albany area pretty much every weekend. I'm always up for a ride.

Latest posts

Back