Baffling Problem

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VMike

Reaction score
Man I got something going on with my bike that's got me baffled. I've had my '05 for about a year and a half and it's got right at 20,000 mi. A few weeks ago it started doing this intermittent thing where I would be sitting at a stop light idling along and it would just die like someone turned the key off. It would start right back up and run fine.I changed out the fuel filter and synced the carbs and didn't seem to help much.Every now and then it would do the same thing.I even increased my idle a little but still did it. A couple of days ago on my way to work I was merging on the freeway and it stared bogging out like it wasn't getting fuel.It was still running,no back firing or popping but just didn't have any power.I limped off the freeway into a parking lot and shut it off,waited a few seconds and it started right up and had power again. I was close to going on reserve so I switched over.Stayed off the freeway,taking surface streets and it ran fine most of the way there and then bogged a little right before work and then ran ok.Leaving work the next morning ran fine,got gas right away and as I was getting on to the freeway it bogged out like it was running out of fuel and then caught and ran fine the 16 miles to home It starts and runs fine most of the time but what ever is happening is getting worse. Here's what I've checked or done.

1.Fuel pump seems to operate normally.(comes on momemtarily when I turn on the key).
2.new plugs.
3.new fuel filter.
4.charging system and battery seem fine.battery voltage after sitting over night is 12.96 v, at idle 13.3v at 2-3 k rpm 14.3v
5.checked all my electrical connectors including the ground wires.
6.inspected the coils and plug wires for cracking.
7.checked fuel tank vent for being clear.
8.carbs are sync'd with a Weber air flow meter since I have V Boost eliminator tubes and stage 7.
Not sure if it's electrical or fuel related but if anyone has had this experience or has any input I'd appreciate it.Up until now I've been able to do all the maintenance on her and I'm holding off taking her in.If it's a component that's failing I wish it would just die so I can fix it. I'm thinking maybe the fuel pump is starting to go? Anyway merging on to a So Cal freeway and losing power is not fun so any input is appreciated.:rofl_200:
Thanks,Mike

My guess is that the fuel pump is going, OR, the fuel pump relay is being wacky OR the tank sensor is going bad.

Try leaving the switch on RES all the time and see if the problem goes away. If so that indicates a problem with the sensor and/or relay.

If not, remove the faux tank and airbox, and remove the fuel line to the carbs. Get a catch bottle under the hose and turn the key on. There should be a robust stream of fuel come shooting out of there as well as rapid clicking of the pump (which stops after like 3 seconds). If it's a weak stream of kind of a piddly flow, the pump may be functioning but weakly. At lower load/RPM it supplies enough fuel, but merging on the freeway the RPMs are up and you're on the gas and it doesn't keep up.

At idle the voltage drops, which if the pump is weak, may stop it entirely.

Thanks Ryan! I'll try that.I don't recall how much fuel was in the tank the few times it died at stop lights but the other day I was close to going on reserve and the way the engine bogged out and still ran it really seemed like it was starving for fuel. Appreciate the input!
Mike

Just for peace of mind, I would drain the carb bowls into a white or clear container, and look for debris in the drained fuel.

It may be that you need to do the shotgun or at least run a few capfulls of SeaFoam in your next tank.

My bike had the same symthoms a couple of years ago and there was a restriction in the line to the fuel pump before the fuel filter.

I've had two experiences with some of the symptoms you mention (occasional stalling, poor idling), but not any with your main concern, the bogging down once the bike is under way.
The first time I noticed the rough idle and stalling was when I had been waiting for awhile, for red lights to change. The bike would begin to stumble and eventually stall, if I didn't work the throttle. I tried the "Peashooter" cleaning technique, which didn't improve things. Then I did the "Shotgun", during which I found one plugged idle mixture screw, with the others partially plugged. Coincidentally(?),10% ethanol regular gas had come into effect in my province shortly before. No problems since doing the shotgun, and I now add Seafoam every third tankful or so, and store the bike over the winter months with a full tank of high-test (no ethanol)gasoline.
The second experience with rough idling occurred just this spring. My on-board voltmeter would show only 11.5-12 volts when idling at stoplights, this was solved with a new battery. The V-max ignition system requires good voltage to operate properly.
My guess would be that your bogging issues are fuel starvation related. In addition to doing the checks already mentioned, perhaps you could do a quick check of the float levels, with the carbs still on the bike (by measuring the gas volume by draining). I think the procedure is outlined in the Carb. forum. If you were to find a carb or two seriously out of wack, of course you would have to disassemble the rack. But don't perform this until you have looked for all other causes for the bogging. Do all the simple things first!
Cheers

Just for peace of mind, I would drain the carb bowls into a white or clear container, and look for debris in the drained fuel.

It may be that you need to do the shotgun or at least run a few capfulls of SeaFoam in your next tank.

If it happened more regularly I would be inclinded to suspect water in the system but I don't think that's the cause. I think Ryan's suggestions will probably identify the culprit.

The first time I noticed the rough idle and stalling was when I had been waiting for awhile, for red lights to change. The bike would begin to stumble and eventually stall, if I didn't work the throttle. I tried the "Peashooter" cleaning technique, which didn't improve things. Then I did the "Shotgun", during which I found one plugged idle mixture screw, with the others partially plugged.

I had this problem a few season's ago. Doing the shotgun not only did it's thing it revealed that I was missing a couple parts in a few of my idle screw "assemblies" (washers/orings). Been much happier since.................

Thanks for all the responses and suggestions guys.I didn't have a lot of time today but did manage to do a few things.
1. Tested the fuel pump by dicconecting from carbs and pumping into a container. It's clicking and pumping away.Seems like it's fine.I even took it off the bike and removed the end plate and inspected the diaphram. It looked really clean and the diaphram looked good. Still could be intermittent problem but for the most part fuel pump seems ok.

2.Removed all fuel hoses checked for any restrictions.Everything clear.

3.Went and bought some Sea Foam and added between 5-6 oz. to my tank that has about 3.5 gal of gas in it.

4. Didn't have time to do anything else.Still would like to drain the bowls and check for sediment and if the Seafoam doesn't work going to try that "Shotgun"

Has anyone had issues with spark plug wires going bad. I believe these are original(7 years old) and thinking about ordering some new ones off e bay.

Going to ride it to work in the morning so I'll let everyone know tomorrow evening how it went. Thanks again everyone! This place is awesome!
Mike

Check/clean the R/R connections as well. Clean ground connections. I would also check all wires for any little exposed or frayed/pinched wires..could be shorting out.

Thanks for the tip Davidon. Rode into work this morning and my bike ran perfect.Idled nice and no bogging what so ever.The only thing I've really done besides check things is :
1. Fuel switch is in "reserve" position.
2.Sea Foam added to gas. I'm a believer in this stuff!

Just one trip to work but bike is running great so far and I'll update after a few trips.
Thanks to all,
Mike

Back