Biggest fear for me

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robbarrie

Reaction score
My biggest fear is having the throttle stick. I was wondering has anyone had this happen to their Max and live to tell about it. I know I should lube it but where exactly should we spray it or should I not worry about it because the chances are very very small ?

You guys just use WD40 or what ? Should I just spray all the moving parts ( linkages ) when I twist the throttle ?

I had this happen on my dirt bike and it nearly cost me my life !

Thanks, Rob

WD-40 is NOT a lubricant. I don't care what the can says.

I, personally, have never lubricated a throttle cable. If one or the other become questionable, I just replace the offending cable. Thirty bucks or so is reasonable as opposed to screwing around for who knows how long trying to get a sticking cable to work right.
Just seems easier that way.

I had Yamaha RD250 / 350 two strokes in the 70's they did this regularly in cold weather if you didn't warm the bike up because the throttle slides and oil lubricating them were cold.

Cables are another matter. If your cables or linkages offer apparent stickiness or resistance of any kind you should determine the cause.

The original internal lubricant drying out and becoming gummy can cause Cable resistance. Crimped cable cases can also be a cause of cable resistance

External mechanical linkages can be lubricated because they are easy to visually inspect but throttle cables can also be internally frayed.

While lube my offer a very short term fix for a frayed cable they are still frayed and may jam inside the cable case before they snap.

If in doubt, replace them.

I think with the stock push pull throttle that you could muscle it shut.

I was just going through this with my new flatslides.I only have a pull cable with the magura quick throttle.I had to custom make the cable from a kaw clutch cable to get the ends that I needed.I just bought some return springs that I will put on before I test ride it.

I also have a top end rev limiter now so I could pull in the clutch if it sticks without blowing the engine.Stock does not in my opinion.Then hit the engine kill.

Go to a bike shop and buy a cable luber.They will know what it is,About $10.Then buy a can of cable lube.It attaches to the cable and forces the lube down into the cable.Or tie a baggy onto it like a funnel,hold it straight up and put oil in the bag and let it sit overnight to gravity into the whole cable.

Last edited:
Back