Bike Shut Down.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roadracer

Reaction score
1985 VMax 38,500 miles. Bike owned for about 2 weeks.

I went for a ride at lunch today. After about 20 minutes it started to run horribly & finally shut off. Also noticed clunky shifting right before that. I pulled in the clutch at about 55mph & tryed to start it & got nothing. Let the clutch back out & nothing.

Came to a stop at a stop sign & had no fuel pump noise & the engine sounded like it had tightened up. After about 15 minutes I had my fuel pump back & a slow-crank issue.

After pushing this bike up a steep hill to try to bump start it, it started & rode it back to work.

A Stator explains the some of it but not the fuel pump issue unless this has wiped out the battery along with it.

Ideas anyone?

Thanks in advance!

RR

I would test your battery first. A poorly performing charging system screws up everything.

Battery tested at home. Passed the load test & tested 12.45v with ign. on. 11.86v during a cold crank.

3 hours after this happened it started right up & I rode it home. I'm begining to wonder if I have two problems:

1)Fuel pump quits when hot.

2)Hot start issue.

Can a fuel pump overheat & stop working until it cools off? I've always known them to just take a dump. This pump has been rather loud since I bought it.

RR

Battery tested at home. Passed the load test & tested 12.45v with ign. on. 11.86v during a cold crank.

3 hours after this happened it started right up & I rode it home. I'm beginning to wonder if I have two problems:

1)Fuel pump quits when hot.

2)Hot start issue.

Can a fuel pump overheat & stop working until it cools off? I've always known them to just take a dump. This pump has been rather loud since I bought it.

RR

Yes, the Fuel Pump Relay can make you think the fuel pump is bad and shut down for many electronic failure reasons. It can even act like you have a case of "vapor lock" which causes the fuel to intermittently stop flowing when hot, but flows just fine when cold.

After you rule out the obvious potential easy fix things like bad connections, blown fuse, battery, regulator, then you might replace the fuel pump relay.

Before you order any parts and if you have a friend with the same bike, you can swap our your suspected failed part with one you know works fine, just to prove which part is bad if any. The fuel pump relay is the same for all years, so it make that fairly easy to test.

The fuel pump relay is located under the left front scoop. Its the small black plastic relay mounted on the left side and is closest to the front of the bike.

Let us know how it goes.

Bdk-2252-5125
85' Vmax

Starter...either dirty connectons or the starter itself. Going through the same thing as you right now...

Removing and cleaning starter is a big help..as for fuel pump relay ..also clean connections and push individual wire connections in by hand..even though the blocks were connected I noticed some wires were still loose

Back