Bike shuts off after hot

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wakers3

Reaction score
Not sure what is going on with her. 1989 and everything seems to be doing ok - except this issue.

Bike starts fine. Runs fine until hot ~7-8 minutes then it just stops, riding or parked and running. Headlight works, turn signals work, starter button doesn't do a single thing when hit.

Bike cools down after a little while and the starter button works again.

Any suggestions on what to try next are greatly appreciated!!!

Welcome to the Forum Wakers3.
If you do a search for "hot start problem" you'll see others have had this issue too; mainly it's a bad ground issue. Same thing happened to my new 06 after several months. My problem turned out to be that the ground strap that attached to the engine next to the oil fill plug. I found after cutting away the covering at the lug end, that it was just crimped around the ground wire. When the engine got hot, the lug expanded away from the wire creating a bad ground. When cooled, down... OK again. Soldered the ends of the ground strap - both at the engine and at the battery, and problem was solved. Never happend again in the 5 yrs I owned the bike. :eusa_dance:

Wouldn't hurt to solder the positive strap too. Also check the ground bolt on the frame to make sure it's not corroded. If so, clean all surfaces with sandpaper, and apply a little di-electric grease to minimize future corrosion there.

Thank you so much. I had done some work on the ground for the bike to clean everything up a bit. I will go back through and do some more. Wiring on these older bikes gets kind of nasty over time ;)

Back