Bike still acting up.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Seward

Reaction score
I've mentioned this before, and got some helpful replies. My '85 starts up almost instantly, and settles down to a reasonably smooth idle while warming up. When I go to ride off, the bike stutters only if I release the throttle to shift, and/or pull in the clutch. Odd thing is, after about half a mile, it stops doing it.. The stutter is almost instantaneous, and it seems like the whole electrical system shuts down. After the half mile, there are no problems. I did notice the tach fluctuating, but I think the needle drops because the ignition cuts out. The interruption is so brief that the needle doesn't have time to drop very far, and when it starts working again, the pulse jumps the needle a bit higher than the engine is revving. It immediately settles to proper RPM reading. The lights flicker, also.

I've checked grounds. I have a new good quality main fuse holder in place, with a good fuse. I'm thinking there may be a main relay somewhere that is going bad. Anyone got any ideas if there is one in the 1985s?

Back