billeted titanium 2nd gear???

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"billeted" doesn't make any sense.

The term "billet" just means the part was formed out of a solid block of material through the use of mills and such. As opposed to die-cast where molten metal is poured into a mold.

You can't "billetize" something. It either is or it isn't. The only titanium gears I've ever heard of are for r/c models that are the size of a dime at best. Not saying they don't exist but the claim seems kind of dubious.

This from his ad ....."The Second gear was upgraded to the billeted titanium equivalent to prevent it from being shredded as is common for these bad boys"

....Umm, well that's complete BS, end of story without going into details.

Also the sissy bar does not come with the bike but it does have the original grab bar. but now I have fallen in love with the generation 2 Vmax
But the Genl sissy bar will not fit a Genll so why keep it? He must be in love with the sissy bar?

But the Genl sissy bar will not fit a Genll so why keep it? He must be in love with the sissy bar?

Nah, he saw what outofoptions was trying to get here for his stuff, so he's gonna offer it up for $350: limited-edition!

Get in-line for the chance to be the proud owner of this rare & valuable vintage accessory for your musclebike! Paypal & cash accepted! :biglaugh:
!B9iNUW!EWk~$(KGrHqEOKm4EyyFEhzKZBM6F-hPCbg~~_1.JPG

Nah, he saw what outofoptions was trying to get here for his stuff, so he's gonna offer it up for $350: limited-edition!

Get in-line for the chance to be the proud owner of this rare & valuable vintage accessory for your musclebike! Paypal & cash accepted! :biglaugh:
!B9iNUW!EWk~$(KGrHqEOKm4EyyFEhzKZBM6F-hPCbg~~_1.JPG
lol true that. I know those scoops worth soooo much lol and as Texas said a scoop is a scoop is a scoop. :rofl_200:

So what even if secomd gear was harder than stock... Unless all the rest are it will just make the mating gear mash to hell. I just redone mine with replacement set from morley... Yamaha could learn something from Sean. Should been undercut gears from the factory.

Sent from my GT-I9000M using Tapatalk 2

This from his ad ....."The Second gear was upgraded to the billeted titanium equivalent to prevent it from being shredded as is common for these bad boys"

....Umm, well that's complete BS, end of story without going into details.

is it posssible to do so?

create a gear out of billet titanium?

and furthermore. would it help?

My understanding is that both pair would have to be the same alloy & hardness or as was mentioned, the hard one will wear-excessively the softer one it pairs-to. I think undercutting a stock gearset & maybe doing a cryogenic treatment would be a good way to go.

I just cannot imagine anyone spending the $$$$ to create that Ti gearset. You could probably buy a complete gearbox several times over for what the Ti pair for 2nd gear would cost you. The gears might be worth more than the bike! :ummm:

It would achieve nothing other than being lighter, it won't be stronger, will wear faster and probably crack besides being 5 x the price.
It is not an ideal material for gears at all.

What he meant to say was that he ( probably) has a back-cut stock gear whereby the driving dogs are relieved at an angle to fix the dreaded jumping out of second
ailment that affects our beloved Max

I asked about this..said he is 2nd owner and original owner got part from Dale Walker..probably a back cut gear like you said.

Jedi has more info on this then we'll all need. I do know that I had a set heat treated quite a few years back and that transmission did hold up but it wasn't worth the extra work involved. I beleive we went for 67 rockwell to get some increased strength but not too hard as to be brittle.

The gears also have a hard "crust" to them that we have to be careful with when undercutting. That's why we hard weld the gears up when they are bad enough. If we just cut them down (which we could do) then the softer inner core wouldn't last long. That's another reason why all undercut jobs are NOT the same.

if money was no object, what would be the best way to make the transmission? different metal gears/gear selector?

Back