Boosting oil pressure

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joelyons50023

Reaction score
Just wondering how hard it was to add washers an or spacers to the oil relief valve spring so that it will let oil pressure go higher. I know that I have to drop the pan from there how hard is it to get to that spring? and how thick of washer and or spacer can i go before it gets problemmatic. thanks.

You do have to drop the pan and remove the pump. After that it's easy. Out washer included in our HD oiling kit is .063 thick. You can actually turn around the center bypass tube and block the bypass off completely. However, you have to let the engine warm up to full operating temp before you can even touch the throttle or you will blow the o-ring out of the filter (been there before).

Sean

$100. It also includes a larger drive gear for the pump itself, lazer cut shim to space it out, HD o-ring, and some small misc including the described washer above.

Sean

10lbs per 1000 rpm. I want to say the relief cuts off at 60psi or so (might be a bit higher but I can't remember right now). Don't forget that the larger gear also increases volume. If you get too much higher pressure then that you take a chance of the pressure relief sticking open and you have minimal pressure.

Sean

So higher than 65 psi (where mine hits the relief) is bad than how high does it go with the washer that goes behind the spring which i am presuming applies more preload to the spring which i am guessing holds a check ball so that it may go up to say 80-100 psi? I know that others have done some mod to the relief to achieve higher pressure.

I do believe it hits 80 with the washer in place. It's been awhile since I gauged mine and not sure if anyone with my kit has a gauge on thiers.

Sean

I do believe it hits 80 with the washer in place. It's been awhile since I gauged mine and not sure if anyone with my kit has a gauge on thiers.

Sean

Sean I have a gauge on mine and when it is cold the pressure tops out at just a tad over 70.

Just wondering Joel why do you want more pressure? It is not always a good thing to have more pressure. More volume yes, better cooling and lubrication but higher pressure does not always equate to that.

It can be bad to have too much of either I know but i do not think that 80 psi is bad.

is the max a high pressure system...or a low pressure high volume like a harley

Back