Braided steel front brake lines

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

josephjhaney

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey all, quick question, I picked up a set of braided steel lines that were used on Ebay, they supposedly came off a max. I have a 1985, so I've got the old brakes and rotors, I just bought the adapters to allow me to fit the bigger rotors and the next gen dual piston calipers, and I've got it all together, but the Y adaptor hangs too low and there isn't enough play in the lower two steel lines to pull it up to where it was on behind the "yamaha" plate on the forks. I play to just black zip tie it for now, but I'm just curious as to how that could be? Is it because maybe I got lines from a set of newer brakes or after they inverted the forks? Thoughts?

Joe

By the 'Y' piece I assume that you are referring to the cast splitter? If the hoses are too short to allow it to mount in its normal place then it would seen that they were not for a Max.

The Max has never have inverted (USD?) forks so that won't be the issue and as far as I'm aware the earlier and later forks would have the same extended length?
I also think that the banjo bolt on the earlier and later calipers is in a similar position so that is unlikely to be the problem.
For what its worth I have braided hoses on mine which are about 18 1/2" long.

Hey all, quick question, I picked up a set of braided steel lines that were used on Ebay, they supposedly came off a max. I have a 1985, so I've got the old brakes and rotors, I just bought the adapters to allow me to fit the bigger rotors and the next gen dual piston calipers, and I've got it all together, but the Y adaptor hangs too low and there isn't enough play in the lower two steel lines to pull it up to where it was on behind the "yamaha" plate on the forks. I play to just black zip tie it for now, but I'm just curious as to how that could be? Is it because maybe I got lines from a set of newer brakes or after they inverted the forks? Thoughts?

Joe
Rotors should bolt right on without adapters, if we're talking later model Gen 1 Vmax? Can you post a pic?

Last edited:
Rotors should bold right on without adapters, if we're talking later model Gen 1 Vmax? Can you post a pic?
Yes as desert_max said, the rotors are not in-need of adapters, but the calipers have 'em to-fit the spacing on the early 40mm sliders. Once that's done, a formerly-fitting caliper hose may-be (and in this case, is) too-short.

I bought a set of SS hoses from earl's years-ago, still going strong. My friend at his shop, makes SS hoses for pressure washers, so doing them for bikes is easy.

I was afraid of that, it was listed as a take off from a max, and the parts all look the same, but maybe it's not. Well, I've got them on now, and filled with brake fluid, now all that's left is a lot of swearing to get them bled. I hate bleeding brakes.

Joe

Back