Broken Parts!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

one2dmax

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, yet another first. Here's what happens when you combine traction and HP.

Sean

Attachments

• 0713081320.jpg
    0713081320.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 83
Nope, out on the "test track" which also happens to be the nearest paved road to me - lol!

I was prepping the bike I am taking to ohio for the UFO drags. Mounted up one of my "special" tires and went to wash the bike. On the way back i decided to test it out a bit. This is what goes BANG when you bang second gear!

Sean

Well, better to break now on your 'test track' than with Jon looking on. Although I'm sure you didn't need more to do before you leave... :bang head:

Hey Sean. Was that from a hard launch to 2nd or from a simple 1st gear rolling start to 2nd? Not that it really matters. But at least it did happen at home for you.

I was spinning in first (I didn't warm up the tire) and let it hook, then banged 2nd gear and that's when it let loose. I've cracked the cases and broken the middle drive gear doing that same thing.

Sean

No, the stock shaft would have broken. Plus this one is on a bike with 3" over arm. I've broken tons of shafts but this is the first -ujoint.

Sean

No, the stock shaft would have broken. Plus this one is on a bike with 3" over arm. I've broken tons of shafts but this is the first -ujoint.

Sean

Well then I think congrats are in order right? :eusa_dance:

I hope it doesn't break when you're schooling Jon...:rofl_200:

That's one for the trophy wall...

Hey Sean when you start doing stretched arms I'd really like an idea on cost. So I can start saving up!

Frank

Well if thats all you broke be very thankful. A U-Joint is simple to replace and cheap compared to transmissions.
I have seen beefed up driveshafts heavier over stock. I can cope with broken driveshafts and u-joints, I just hate splitting cases to replace gears:bang head:
Hmm driveshaft... 50.00:ummm:
U-Joint..... 35.00:ummm:
Heavy duty u-joints, heavy duty drive shaft= hours and hours of labor, 500.00 parts & gaskets + split cases:bang head:

Good luck in getting it back together. What rear tire are you running?

I had it back together within an hour of it breaking on Sunday. I had just installed my race radial. It's a Dunlop DR390 (michelin has it now I think). It's a road race rain tire. It looks like a treaded tire but it's still a very soft slick. 190/70/17 (that's not a misprint). They run about $250 new. Everynow and again I can pick up a good used one (sides are worn but great center) for under $100.

I don't sweat the shaft or the u-joint. It's the block I worry about. It scrapped the last one (as well as the worm gear on the trans). The trans only is simple compared to that too!

Sean

Latest posts

Back