Buying a V Max

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firebolt

Reaction score
I've wanted a VMax for the better part of 20 years, and I have some $, and I found one. An 04 with 28k on it and brand new tires. He wants $4500. Hes had the valves adjusted twice in it's life - 1 owner, he said fluids could use a change, battery is good. THats all he really knows about it mechanically. He hasn't ridden it much in the last 2 years.

It is 4 degrees here for a high temp - he has 2 space heaters on it and hopefully it will start. There is 8" of snow - I am not going to be able to test ride it. He is leaving the state at the end of this month, and I want it!

Since you all know these machines, can you tell me anything specific I should keep my eyes open for, knowing I'm only going to be able to run it in a garage?

Thanks - and hope to be on here a lot if and once shes mine!

Hey Firebolt,
There is no way to determine everything that you potentially need to know about the bike without a test run. I would hate to test a dog sled in that kind of weather, LOL!
Personally I would look for any damage, oil leaks, fork leaks, etc, right off. If it idles well that's a plus. More than likely it may need the carbs run through if it has been sitting very long. Just the nature of the beast. Lots of threads on here for pea shooter or shotgun cleaning. You won't be able to tell if it has a 2nd gear issue but to ask the owner. You are kind of at his mercy to tell you of any known issues. I know how you are feeling because I waited many years also to get my 06. It is very thrilling to ride your own after that long of a wait.
There will be other replies behind mine to give you more things to check out. This forum is loaded with great guys that know their Vmax stuff! I am learning the ropes somewhat myself. I would say that the price is pretty close if it has no issues. Good luck with the purchase my friend!

I'll ask him. It's hard for me to imagine how someone could be hard on that motor lol - it sounds like it will take all that I am willing to give it and then some!

Does it have a service stand? Any chance I could find the 2nd gear issue on that or does it need to be under load? Any indicators that its ever been hot I should look for?

THanks for the help guys - I need to get my poker face on, and get it out of my head that it's already mine so I can look at it semi mechanically objectively.

At least it has been ridden some. Middle of winter, maybe it doesnt start/run right, powersports market is very soft still, he needs to sell, maybe there is a little wiggle room in the price. Im sure it will be a little time and $$ to get her tip top if its been mostly sitting for a couple years.

What is its condition? Documented service history? Any modifications, like full exhaust, seat, things like that?

Oh yea, welcome to the forum!

I'll ask him. It's hard for me to imagine how someone could be hard on that motor lol - it sounds like it will take all that I am willing to give it and then some!

Does it have a service stand? Any chance I could find the 2nd gear issue on that or does it need to be under load? Any indicators that its ever been hot I should look for?

THanks for the help guys - I need to get my poker face on, and get it out of my head that it's already mine so I can look at it semi mechanically objectively.

It should have a center stand.

At least it has been ridden some. Middle of winter, maybe it doesnt start/run right, powersports market is very soft still, he needs to sell, maybe there is a little wiggle room in the price. Im sure it will be a little time and $$ to get her tip top if its been mostly sitting for a couple years.

What is its condition? Documented service history? Any modifications, like full exhaust, seat, things like that?

Oh yea, welcome to the forum!

Condition is BEAUTIFUL haha.

Has a scratch on one side panel because he slipped in his garage and 'set it down on its side a few years ago' (not while running).

He's only had it serviced at the local dealer. I was going to write down the VIN and call for service records.

Hes added cobra exhaust - didn't do any fuel or air mods with it. THat's it - stock otherwise. He does not have the OEM exhaust.

Im thinking of offering 4k. It is in really nice shape body-wise from what I can tell from the pics.

Speaking from experience Cobra's will hurt your performance but if you're like me and like the look and sound then it's worth it. (It looks bad ass from behind). I also want a VMAX for about 30 years and got my 94 a few years ago and have loved it ever since. This forum and it's members are great. Good luck.

Doug

These engines are not indestructible. I went through three of them on my first Vmax in 10k miles. Of course I learned a lot about them since that time lol.

These engines are not indestructible. I went through three of them on my first Vmax in 10k miles. Of course I learned a lot about them since that time lol.

WOW! How did you manage that?!

Impressed..but also want to know what NOT to do. :)

And thanks for all the info - I will keep you posted! I would love to know more about the 2nd gear issue and if I can check it on the stand.

Not sure about on the stand (no weight on the tyre) but i bet you could check it on a rolling road

Start reading the how-to and faq section on here. There is months of reading info on this site.

Blowing up engines comes from a bunch of things. Sean (one2dmax) has been at this game for a while, and has done a lot of experiments.

Checking 2nd gear on the center stand is probably possible, but also probably not advised as the possibility of things going really wrong really fast is fairly high.

If I had a Cobra exhaust I would pedal it on Ebay and go right back to Kerker. To get it just right there will be some massaging but its so worth it!

Like you, I have wanted one forever (85 or 86) and stumbled upon one locally on CL quite by accident. I had a meltdown, bought and began learning and tuning. I may never sell this bike!

Others may have insight to the contrary, but from my observations a Vmax is a lot easier to buy than sell, so I would think an offer of 4k would be right in the correct range for an 04. I dont think I would pay anymore w/o a real testride. Im excited for you, it reminds me of how my mind was racing to get off work so I could run and buy mine (I work 24/7 so had to wait days). Such a fun ride!

Not sure about on the stand (no weight on the tyre) but i bet you could check it on a rolling road

Oh great idea! The shop behind mine has a car Dyno - I wonder if we could rig something.

Not testing 2nd on the center stand is probably smart...

And now I've been reading about the 2nd gear issue and am thoroughly scared to buy it without a road test. Will check out the FAQ's for sure - this place has sucked me in and now I'm even more excited to get one! THanks!

Oh great idea! The shop behind mine has a car Dyno - I wonder if we could rig something.

And now I've been reading about the 2nd gear issue and am thoroughly scared to buy it without a road test. Will check out the FAQ's for sure - this place has sucked me in and now I'm even more excited to get one! THanks!

This place rocks.

The 2nd gear issue was a real problem but some improvents were made well before 04. Cant recall exact year but its more robust than the first ones that had issues. Very good read. I spent hours reading and absorbing knowledge.

Early 85 had a gear dog drive vs the tab dog design later that year (and put into the early 85's with the recall). The 98/99 had a segment upgrade though nothing specifically to do with 2nd gear issues. There was a shim added in later years to take up the slop and make 2nd gear stronger as well but ALL years (and about every bike out there) can have a 2nd gear dog failure.

Putting it on a stand without any load won't be able to tell you if the trans is any good. You'll just have to suck it up and run it while wearing your snow suit lol. MAKE SURE the engine is well warmed up before you run it hard. ALSO be careful with a cold tire and cold ground surface as the traction will be limited.

I'm sure as you go through the forums and asking for help or assistance you'll see my name pop up a time or two lol. After being around and playing with these bikes (almost exclusively) since 1988 you tend to learn a few things about them. I run them hard and break shit regularly. Getting to the point where I've learned what parts to make stronger and what parts to leave as the weak link.

The single biggest piece of advice I can give is the warmed up engine advice! When i go to the drags I do not run it cold like most of the other bike riders do. I used to but decided I would rather be slightly slower and not have to replace engines!

Yep, checking 2nd gear is under FULL power......not a good thing to do on a centerstand..lol

I do have a couple of Vmax's currently available and price range will vary by quite a bit. The nicer bikes are a 1996 with inverted front end, Carr wheels, Marks Exhaust and more. I also have a 2007 with extended swingarm, Carr wheels, lots of chrome, Marks Exhaust, Muscle Seat and more as well. Either of those bikes would be $7500 delivered and already have a lot of the desirable options. If I put the 2007 (or 96) back to stock it would reduce the price by a lot but you would not be able to re-purchase the stuff for the amount you'd save.

Attachments

• IMG_20161027_172525358.jpg
    IMG_20161027_172525358.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_20161023_121729745.jpg
    IMG_20161023_121729745.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 44
  • DSC_0435.jpg
    DSC_0435.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 44
  • DSC_0441.jpg
    DSC_0441.jpg