Came to an Interesting Stop...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zippo6

Reaction score
So I was out Friday night and got caught in the rain. I went to see how my wife was making out at the Motorcycle Safety Course. I waited out the rain there and eventually headed for home.

Roads were still soaking wet from the rain and I even noted in the back of my mind coming to a red light how easily my boot slid on the asphalt. So this is were it gets interesting. Let me paint the picture for you. From this intersection the road goes into a downhill grade (I dunno, 30-35%?) anyway, at the bottom there is another set of lights. So as I'm heading down this grade follow a cager (Too close given the road conditions:bang head:) the light changes to yellow. We were close enough when the light changed that I had that split second debate in my head given wet roads, that I was likely going to run the light.... then it happened, brake lights on the car in front of me, she was stopping:ummm:. So without thinking I had to react, all at the same time I came onto both front and rear brakes as well as dropped down a gear (from 3 to 2) and dumped the clutch. So to recap, 900lbs of bike and rider traveling downhill at probobly 50-55Kmh. Needless to say the rear wheel locked and began to slide out to the right, engine compression was of course no use as the engine died as soon as the rear wheel locked (clutch was out). I was still sliding, what felt to be, rather quickly towards the rear bumper. It actually took me half a second or more to realize that I had indeed stalled the bike so I grabbed the clutch before sliding to a stop and releasing the brake. I was NO MORE than 5 feet from her bumper. :eusa_dance:
I hit the starter, bike fired right up. I was still in second gear so I kicked it down into 1st, as soon as took my foot of the shifter, the neutral light light up. So I hit again, same result. I cycled the clutch out and back in and tried again, it went easily into 1st. Light went green and off I went. Shifted into 2nd and hit a free rev, looked down, neutral again. I grabbed the clutch and shifted again, it went normally into 2nd and I never had another problem. What I can't say for sure or not is if the shift into second was actually a problem or a lazy shift on my part?:ummm:

Anyway. I thought I would put my stupidity out there as a reminder to those who don't ride in the rain very often (me included) to be extra careful.... :clapping:

Last edited:
glad ur ok shane. i have all sorts of problems at times trying to shift if i don't blip the throttle or don't try to move the rear tire a bit. i'd say ur fine.

glad ur ok shane. i have all sorts of problems at times trying to shift if i don't blip the throttle or don't try to move the rear tire a bit. i'd say ur fine.

What I have found works best for my bike is grabbing a handful of clutch and rolling off the throttle, then waiting a split second to shift. It seems to 'usually' shift very nicely otherwise it can be very clunky and downright disturbing! Now, when running like hell through the gears I can't hear the transmission over the sound of the bike so I just make damn sure I complete a nice SOLID shift.

Mine will get finicky if I don't pay at least a little attention to my shifting.....

But once it's in it's IN.....:clapping:

I`ve had those problems quita a bit .
It`s aggrivating when I shift from 2nd into 3rd and then it just decides that it wants to go back into 2nd again.
sometimes it`s embarrassing especially when it does it in front of a harley
they look at me like WTF am I doing. but then I jump on it and I`m gone.:biglaugh::biglaugh:
<<Dave>>

Mine has only jumped out of gear once and it happened when the bike was acting finicky (much like a woman), but other than that it's only the CLUNK it can make when shifting. That said, it may be my clutch. I may need to do some work as I think it is slipping ever so slightly. Now that I'm running full time Vboost, and roll onto the throttle at about 4K rpm in 3rd gear I can feel the bike rev and pull, but it feels like the clutch slips a bit until the speed increases enough to better match the RPM, then it takes off. Does that make sense?

whens the lasttime your lines were bleed?

Mine has only jumped out of gear once and it happened when the bike was acting finicky (much like a woman), but other than that it's only the CLUNK it can make when shifting. That said, it may be my clutch. I may need to do some work as I think it is slipping ever so slightly. Now that I'm running full time Vboost, and roll onto the throttle at about 4K rpm in 3rd gear I can feel the bike rev and pull, but it feels like the clutch slips a bit until the speed increases enough to better match the RPM, then it takes off. Does that make sense?

Are you sure the tire isn't slipping????:confused2:

My bike did it the other day with the 2-3 shift.....

The back tire will break loose for just a turn or 2.....and then hook:punk:

whens the lasttime your lines were bleed?
Oh good point..... I did my clutch this summer, HOWEVER, noticed a slight leak where the crimp attaches to the solid line down by the slave about 2 weeks ago. I plan to replace the lines and possibly rebuild the slave this winter. I guess I'll hold off on the clutch till next year to see if this resolves the problem.

Are you sure the tire isn't slipping????:confused2:

My bike did it the other day with the 2-3 shift.....

The back tire will break loose for just a turn or 2.....and then hook:punk:
With my fat ass on there, I really don't think so? Maybe? I guess I'd have to try it in a parking lot and go see if I've left any marks?

With my fat ass on there, I really don't think so? Maybe? I guess I'd have to try it in a parking lot and go see if I've left any marks?

I ain't skinny.......:confused2:

It does not leave marks......but the guys behind:rofl_200:me say it does spin....just a turn or two......and I can feel it......:punk:

I ain't skinny.......:confused2:

It does not leave marks......but the guys behind:rofl_200:me say it does spin....just a turn or two......and I can feel it......:punk:

Hmm.... then perhaps I'll need to shift my weight forward and go WOT and see if that leaves a mark. :punk:

its worth fixing the line first shane, then do the clutch plates. easy stuff first eh?

my tire never spins. unintentionally.

its worth fixing the line first shane, then do the clutch plates. easy stuff first eh?

my tire never spins. unintentionally.

Really?????

I have never spun intentionally.......

But I have spun:confused2:

Back