Can't get below 2nd gear?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

latheboy

Reaction score
As the title says, I cannot get my bike below 2nd gear. When the bike is running or when it is not running. It will upshift ok to 5th gear, and will return down to 2nd. On downshifting, I must rock the bike to get it to fully shift to each gear. When I am at 2nd gear, I cannot get to neutral (big problem, no starting in gear!) or into first gear at all. The shift lever seems to travel far enough to be able to get to first or neutral, but the gears don't respond. I am thinking the shift star my be bend to piss. Like i said earlier, it doesn't seem to downshift from all the other gears as cleanly as it once did also. Anyone had this problem? I cant say I am easy on it, but today it nearly left me stranded. I did notice that it seemed to be harder thatn normal to find neutral a few times today. Then I stop for ice cream with my lil lady, and I couldn't get to neutral at all. So after a strawberry sundae, I had a friend give me a push and I bump started it in 2nd gear and rode home. Looks like I will soon be into looking and the shift mechanism.

The bike is a '91. I am sure it has the old stlye star in it yet. I did see the other post you mentioned before I made my first post. I just wasn't sure if the symptoms I have are related to losing pins/bending the shift star. I will check into it later this week..... Thanks!

As long as your sidestand is up and the switch on the clutch master is good you can start the bike in gear. It's harder on the engine and started but it will still work. Either way you will need to inspect the star setup. I have plenty I have removed in good shape or you can upgrade it anyway.

Sean Morley

Thanks for the offer on parts, Sean. I will just oder the Yammy parts to uprade it right away. I am personal friends with a Yamaha dealer, so I get parts at nearly half price of retail. He tells me Yamaha parts are about 100 percent markup for dealers. I cant go wrong buying new Yamaha parts at half of retail! Thanks for your help guys!

Latest posts

Back