Can't get neutral when engine running

Discussion in 'Motor' started by HeckticHaze, Oct 26, 2019.

Help Support VMAX Motorcycle Forum by donating:

1. Oct 30, 2019 #21

HeckticHaze

HeckticHaze

HeckticHaze

Thanks guys for all the responses. Sounds like I have some work ahead of me.

2. Oct 30, 2019 #22

HeckticHaze

HeckticHaze

HeckticHaze

Thanks guys for all the responses. Sounds like I have some work ahead of me.

3. Oct 30, 2019 #23

one2dmax

one2dmax

one2dmax

Here's another possible option

Attached Files:

4. Oct 31, 2019 #24

Jpaws68

Jpaws68

Jpaws68

I was having the same issue and had to rebuild the slave cylinder? That is what I would equate it to in a vehicle. I had bled the system over and over and changed the fluid, that would work for about a day. Then the clutch acted like it wasn't fully engaged. I found that the cylinder had a lot of corrosion. I just cleaned it out the best I could and replaced the rubber pieces. No issues since then.

5. Nov 4, 2019 #25

HeckticHaze

HeckticHaze

HeckticHaze

Lil' Skeet I fired the bike up yesterday. Cold, no issues going 1st or 2nd gear into neutral. I do not even have to blip the throttle. Went for a ride for about 45 minutes. Came home tried to blip throttle and enter neutral. No luck. Shut engine down, goes right into neutral. Going to change oil this weekend. found out I need a special wrench for the oil filter. I do not have anything that small diameter.

Is there any trick to getting the top cover off the clutch reserve on the handlebar. I could not get it to move. I did not want to take a small screwdriver and damage the casing trying to pry it off. It is stuck good. Thinking the front brake reserve is the same way. Tried tapping a screw driver handle around the edge. No luck.

6. Nov 5, 2019 #26

Julian Tomkins

Julian Tomkins

Julian Tomkins

Well-Known Member Supporting Member

have the cover screws come out ok ?, if they have and assuming it is just a bit of corrosion holding it, a gentle tap on the edge should free it

7. Nov 5, 2019 #27

Lil'skeet

Lil'skeet

Lil'skeet

Use a hard Hard plastic mallet to tap on it right on the corners all the way around. A block of wood and a small hammer works also. Do not pry on it!
    Does it feel like the clutch is slipping? Sounds like clutch plates may be heating up and expanding. If the clutch plates are worn past their service life they wont have the amount of friction material they need to work properly and it will give you problems.

8. Nov 5, 2019 #28

HeckticHaze

HeckticHaze

HeckticHaze

I had no problem removing the screws on the cover. I took a hard plastic handle of a screwdriver and rapped around the edges of the cover. It would not budge. I could not tell if the bottom piece of the clutch reserve recedes into the top cover. If you hit it hard enough on one side or corner of the cover will it just slide over? The clutch does not feel like it is slipping during normal use.

9. Nov 6, 2019 #29

Julian Tomkins

Julian Tomkins

Julian Tomkins

Well-Known Member Supporting Member