Can't get neutral when engine running

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's another possible option

Attachments

• untitled_(25).png
    untitled_(25).png
    1.4 MB · Views: 46
I was having the same issue and had to rebuild the slave cylinder? That is what I would equate it to in a vehicle. I had bled the system over and over and changed the fluid, that would work for about a day. Then the clutch acted like it wasn't fully engaged. I found that the cylinder had a lot of corrosion. I just cleaned it out the best I could and replaced the rubber pieces. No issues since then.

Lil' Skeet I fired the bike up yesterday. Cold, no issues going 1st or 2nd gear into neutral. I do not even have to blip the throttle. Went for a ride for about 45 minutes. Came home tried to blip throttle and enter neutral. No luck. Shut engine down, goes right into neutral. Going to change oil this weekend. found out I need a special wrench for the oil filter. I do not have anything that small diameter.

Is there any trick to getting the top cover off the clutch reserve on the handlebar. I could not get it to move. I did not want to take a small screwdriver and damage the casing trying to pry it off. It is stuck good. Thinking the front brake reserve is the same way. Tried tapping a screw driver handle around the edge. No luck.

have the cover screws come out ok ?, if they have and assuming it is just a bit of corrosion holding it, a gentle tap on the edge should free it

Use a hard Hard plastic mallet to tap on it right on the corners all the way around. A block of wood and a small hammer works also. Do not pry on it!
Does it feel like the clutch is slipping? Sounds like clutch plates may be heating up and expanding. If the clutch plates are worn past their service life they wont have the amount of friction material they need to work properly and it will give you problems.

I had no problem removing the screws on the cover. I took a hard plastic handle of a screwdriver and rapped around the edges of the cover. It would not budge. I could not tell if the bottom piece of the clutch reserve recedes into the top cover. If you hit it hard enough on one side or corner of the cover will it just slide over? The clutch does not feel like it is slipping during normal use.

Dead-blow hammer, a couple shots to the sides of the cap and it should come right-off.

Well, I finally got some time to work on the bike. Did the oil change to Rotella. Took it for a ride, no change finding neutral when engine hot. Next I flushed the dot 4 brake fluid in the clutch. It was a nasty brown. Reemed out that little hole in the bottam of the master cylinder reserve with a 0.009" guitar string. It was clean. Ran it again. No change. One other thing I noticed. When I fired the bike up cold I have it in neutral and handle pulled in. Start the bike, release the handle and I hear some kind of rubbing. Pull clutch lever back in and the noise goes away. While riding the clutch is fine. No problem finding gears except for neutral. So is my next job pulling the slave cylinder? Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.

Back