Cause for concern?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Came back from an exceptionally hot ride. Did a little walk around the bike as I usually do before parking her for the day. Noticed on the right hand side, this little bolt seemingly leaking oil. The smudge interrupting the trickle was from my finger verifying it was indeed oil. Anyone have any thoughts on this/experienced before?

And by exceptionally hot I’m referring to the weather (Houston Tx for ya). The bike has been riding at mid temp on the gauge or a tick under. One above in low gear slow traffic.

Attachments

• IMG_0015.jpeg
    IMG_0015.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0014.jpeg
    IMG_0014.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
right...it is close to the oil fill cap.
Perhaps. However I can't imagine where it dripped from. Oil was changed over a month ago. It's been driven many miles since then, and cleaned. Just a few days ago I changed the rear diff oil. Of course that's too far away. unless I carried my oil jug/drain pan too close and spilled a drip, just seems really convenient that I'd spill it directly on a bolt. I slightly tightened the bolt, and checked those around it. Each one was very slightly tightened except for one. Keeping an eye on it, and so far haven't seen any more leakage in around 30 miles of riding. Spill, or slightly loose I can't say. Just hoping not to see anymore appear

You know what I did the other day. I changed my oil and started it to check the oil level and forgot to put the cap on. I had some oil on the right side. I cleaned it all up and noticed that oil got behind the triangle insert. So I’ve had a little drip from behind it. Damn annoying lol. Hope yours was just that loose bolt 👍

Perhaps. However I can't imagine where it dripped from. Oil was changed over a month ago. It's been driven many miles since then, and cleaned. Just a few days ago I changed the rear diff oil. Of course that's too far away. unless I carried my oil jug/drain pan too close and spilled a drip, just seems really convenient that I'd spill it directly on a bolt. I slightly tightened the bolt, and checked those around it. Each one was very slightly tightened except for one. Keeping an eye on it, and so far haven't seen any more leakage in around 30 miles of riding. Spill, or slightly loose I can't say. Just hoping not to see anymore appear
Always tighten to the YAMA torque specs!

Always tighten to the YAMA torque specs!
Very true, In changing the rear diff oil, I overtightened the small 8mm bolt on top of the breather assy. It broke in half. If I wasn't able to remove it with my extraction kit, a replacement breather assy was going to be about $130 on partzilla. Luckily I managed to get it out and at just the cost of a new bolt. Definitely considering a torque wrench. Planning on changing the spark plugs soon so I'll probably get one before doing that.

Very true, In changing the rear diff oil, I overtightened the small 8mm bolt on top of the breather assy. It broke in half. If I wasn't able to remove it with my extraction kit, a replacement breather assy was going to be about $130 on partzilla. Luckily I managed to get it out and at just the cost of a new bolt. Definitely considering a torque wrench. Planning on changing the spark plugs soon so I'll probably get one before doing that.
Try harbor freight or estate sales near you, especially farm sales. That tool is a MUST to have. :)

I have several torque wrenches. My oldest is a Plomb, beam-style, 1/2" bought used. My oldest one I bought new is a Craftsman 1/2" beam-style, it's probably 46 years old. I have another, but haven't seen it in some time.

I also have a couple of HFT 'click-style' torque wrenches in 3/8" and 1/2" drives. They seem to be accurate when I try testing them against my beam-type ones. HFT=Harbor Freight Tools

My newest is a 1/4" from NAPA, which is good for lesser torque values.

Back