CERTIFICATE OF CONFORMITY

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JEAN PIERRE EPSTEIN

Reaction score
IS IT POSSIBLE TO GET A NEW FRAME VIN STICKER FOR MY 1985 YAMAHA VMAX ? MAJOR HASSLE WHEN IT COMES TO MOT,ING SURELY IT IS UNDERSTOOD THAT AFTER NEARLY 40YRS THESE STICKERS GET PAINTED OVER, DAMAGED ETC ETC I WOULD OF THOUGHT THAT YAMAHA WOULD PROVIDE A NEW STICKER SERVICE ? THANKS JP

Last edited:
DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO OBTAIN A C.O.C FOR MY US MODEL CALIFORNIA SPEC. 1985 YAMAHA VMAX 1200 IMPORT ? IT SEEMS STRANGE THAT I HAVE TO PAY £12.50 A DAY TO USE MY BIKE IN THE ULEZ AREA & MY NEIGHBOUR WITH HIS 2009 UK SPEC YAMAHA VMAX 1200 PAYS NOTHING YET WE HAVE EXACTLY THE SAME ENGINE OTHER THAN MINE HAS MORE EMMISSION SYSTEMS ON IT BEING FROM CALIFORNIA. AHY IDEAS ? THANKS JP.

Why using capitals??

You wont ever have a chance for a COC on a 1985 bike since COC exists since mid 2000's (I am not exactly sure but I think its 2006 onwards).
Here in Europe you will have to apply for a single homoligation. Since UK is not EC anymore, I cant tell you exactly what kinda paperwork you need - here you would first need a civil engineer, specialized in this field, and and and around 450€uros.

Also you need to change the indicators to EC specs (no parking lights combined with indicators) elsewise it should be no real huge tech problem.

Why using capitals??

You wont ever have a chance for a COC on a 1985 bike since COC exists since mid 2000's (I am not exactly sure but I think its 2006 onwards).
Here in Europe you will have to apply for a single homoligation. Since UK is not EC anymore, I cant tell you exactly what kinda paperwork you need - here you would first need a civil engineer, specialized in this field, and and and around 450€uros.

Also you need to change the indicators to EC specs (no parking lights combined with indicators) elsewise it should be no real huge tech problem.
I'm in the UK for now with a pair of 96 1200's. I've got a house in France (53220) and would love to be able to register at least 1 in France when I finally move over full time.

I'm in the UK for now with a pair of 96 1200's. I've got a house in France (53220) and would love to be able to register at least 1 in France when I finally move over full time.
Europe is a big corcus with many directors. Plus the local governments, hahaha. I guess you will be able to register one if you are stubbern enough. Here its a question of relations, time and money - nothing is impossible, except getting papers for a car/bike that existed long before the papers existed. But: surprise me!

Europe is a big corcus with many directors. Plus the local governments, hahaha. I guess you will be able to register one if you are stubbern enough. Here its a question of relations, time and money - nothing is impossible, except getting papers for a car/bike that existed long before the papers existed. But: surprise me!
Maybe sell in uk and find a French registered max, much less paperwork 🤣🤣

As far as I know all French Maxii were restricted? If yours are full power that may cause an issue.
Is there a Frenh V Max Forum you could plug into for advice?
Sorry @MaxMidnight for talking about France when living myself in German speaking country Austria, but I guess, @JEAN PIERRE EPSTEIN is following.

There was a type "2WE" which was officially imported by Yamaha with 74kW, without V-Boost and smaller exhaust diametre, and I guess you mean this type. Obviously this was not a mega-seller since most of the dealers carried on importing the Canadian/US type ""2LT" themself, which had full power and the 74kW only on papers.

The difference on paperwork is, the European version had a general homoligation through Yamaha Germany/France/Austria and the imported version had single homoligation papers through the dealer(s). None of them had CoC, since these COC simply did not exist in times of Gen1.

When I tried to import my US gen 1 in France back in 2000,
I wrote directly to Yamaha Motor France to get that certificate of conformity. They sent me a document named “Certificate of Partial conformity” just stating that my Vmax was not fully compliant with the French regulations (based on the 2EN version) and what changes were needed to make it so.
I would try writing to Yamaha Motor UK in your case.

Sorry @MaxMidnight for talking about France when living myself in German speaking country Austria, but I guess, @JEAN PIERRE EPSTEIN is following.

There was a type "2WE" which was officially imported by Yamaha with 74kW, without V-Boost and smaller exhaust diametre, and I guess you mean this type. Obviously this was not a mega-seller since most of the dealers carried on importing the Canadian/US type ""2LT" themself, which had full power and the 74kW only on papers.

The difference on paperwork is, the European version had a general homoligation through Yamaha Germany/France/Austria and the imported version had single homoligation papers through the dealer(s). None of them had CoC, since these COC simply did not exist in times of Gen1.
Hi as (as far as I know), my 1992 VMAX was originally registered in spain (although this is unclear). Presumably this would be a restricted Euro version, with 74KW (99hp). However I'm going to check out all of the type numbers on the bike and the registration papers, just to establish exactly what spec my bike is (or maybe was). As the bike is 30 years old, a previous owner may have upgraded it. That is if it is in fact possible to upgrade a euro spec bike to full power spec. I am unsure of whether this could be done, but if the euro restricted bikes don't have the V boost etc, then I guess this would be a complicated job anyway. I'm Ok with 99hp anyway, especially for the spanish roads etc.

Just been through all of the papers and checked the bike numbers etc, my bike was made in Japan by yamaha in May 1992, but not first registered in spain until late 1993. However it is a 2EN version, although one bit of spanish on the papers also says G 2EN. I assume that this does mean that it is a restricted bike, but as the EU didn't exist in something like its current state until late 1993, I am very confused indeed.

Last edited:
2EN was for the European market; you would need to give the rest of the frame # if you want to establish which one.
As you say, probably originally restricted.
It is possible to add V Boost which is not that difficult to do. What is more challenging is reducing the height of the throttle slides to allow full movement.

Back